Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do rotary blade sharpeners work?

Blog Entries

Do rotary blade sharpeners work?

Has anyone used the "True Cut Rotary Blade Sharpener" that Joann Fabrics sells, or any other blade sharpener on the market. And, if so, do they work? With the cost of blades these days, I'm wondering if I can extend the life of my blades with a good sharpener. Will look forward to a response from all the experts that use this site.
    Eileen

I have on and use it now and then, It does make a difference but not like new. I don't have much shopping where I am and this sharpener helps in a pinch.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    No one seems to think it does much good. I have started to flip my blade so that the cut is done with the other side and it does add a little to the life of the blade. I got my last blades on ebay and bought 20 olfa blades new for $20
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Thanks, never thought to flip the blade. Will try that.
    Eileen

There are 2 different electric sharpeners from TruCut. I have the more expensive one and rarely buy new blades. It was worth every penny. I sharpen as soon as I feel the blade is getting dull. It's great never cutting with a dull blade
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    There are 2 different electric sharpeners from TruCut. I have the more expensive one and rarely buy new blades. It was worth every penny. I sharpen as soon as I feel the blade is getting dull.
    I have had so many friends tell me it was a waste of money that I've been very leery about spending the money.

I've used the sharpener and it worked well and extended the life of my blade.
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

Born Nashville, TN - currently in Newbern, TN
    I have one that I bought at Hancocks and it works very well. I just don't have enough strength in my hands to do a decent sharpening however, so I have my son do it for me. I think being able to apply enough pressure is key. He regularly sharpens my 3 cutters. I might never had tried them, but I found the refills for the sharpener on a killer deal in clearance and bought the main sharpener with a 40% off coupon. I have bought some blades from Harbor Freight but have yet to use them. I'm waiting until my others don't sharpen up well enough.
    Peggy Munday
    Affordable Creations
    http://peggymunday.blogspot.com/

I have the cheap hand turned one. It works if you twist back and forth about 10 times on each side of the blade.
    It extends the life of the blade a little.

Blog Entries
    I just bought the TrueCut on line from JoAnns haven't had a chance to use it yet, but will post results as soon as I try it.
    Joyce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast