Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do Straight Pins Take "breaking-in" before they are sharp??? >

Do Straight Pins Take "breaking-in" before they are sharp???

Do Straight Pins Take "breaking-in" before they are sharp???

Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 AM

I had a similar experience with pins recently. I opened up a box of silk pins right after I bought them at JoAnn's and they were sharp but hard to slide through the fabric. I found that the more I used them the easier it got. It was like there was a coating or something on them. I can't remember the brand. I got them when they had their 70% off notion sale so didn't take them back. I will never buy pins there again however.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 AM

Since you can't return them, can you try running them through a bar of soap? That is what I do when I have pins that don't want to slide through the fabric.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 AM

My new box that arrived the other day is the same way. They are both Clover extra fine patchwork pins (the heads are very small too).

The tips are sharp but they do not slide through the fabric without a lot of force. I agree with CitrusCountryquilter, there appears to maybe be a coating on them still from the manufacture process and with use, the coating will wear away. I have already noticed that after using a pin a few times it does seem to work better so I think with use these will be fine.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
Since you can't return them, can you try running them through a bar of soap? That is what I do when I have pins that don't want to slide through the fabric.
I haven't heard of this before. I'll have to try that on some of the more stubborn ones. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 AM

Did you by chance purchase ball point pins intended for knit fabrics?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 AM

I too hate dull pins. The best ones I ever bought were some Fons and Porter glass head extra long pins I found at Tuesday Morning. They are super sharp and stay that way. Never saw them again at TM though.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
Well that is a bummer. I have had these sitting in my drawer for around a year or so. I think I got this box off Amazon and it would be crazy for me to try to return them this long after purchase. Lesson learned I guess.

I actually bought another box last week and they should be here later today so I will definitely open them and test for sharpness. I decided to have 2 pin dishes (I use the magnetic ones) instead of just one that I had to move every time I went from my work station to the machine and back again (I'm doing a log cabin so this cycle repeats itself over and over again).
Send an email Clover - I bet they would send you a new batch!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Just an Idea: When we used to pin diapers the pins would get dull, often. So we would stick them in a cake of soap or.... slide them thru our hair. they came out sliding thru the diapers all the time. Still works for straight pins for me.

Actually I am now 73!

Last edited by quilter68; 08-22-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: age
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

You received a bad batch, as the pins should be "sharp as a tack" when you first use them. Take them back for a replacement, you shouldn't have to force new pins.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM

If you can't return them, try running a pin thru your hair-the oil on your hair coats them. We used to do this when we used safety pins and cloth diapers.