Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they make a Mid-Arm 16"-18" machine that will do a straight stitch and FMQ >

Do they make a Mid-Arm 16"-18" machine that will do a straight stitch and FMQ

Do they make a Mid-Arm 16"-18" machine that will do a straight stitch and FMQ

Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Default Do they make a Mid-Arm 16"-18" machine that will do a straight stitch and FMQ

So yesterday a friend and I went out and test drove both Tin Lizzie and Handi-Quilter. I'm not really crazy about setting up a frame even though I do have room and I'm even less thrilled about the $9K - $10K price tag, since I have no interest in a business and only want to do this for myself.

I know you can get Bailey's etc, for a lot less, even a basic Tin Lizzie for a lot less, but when we compared it to the computer model, that computer was the hands down winner. The price with the metal frame was around $7000K for the basic Tin Lizzie. Oh I hated the wood frame too much vibration and I really don't want to fuss with a frame at all.

We tested the sit down models as well. The new sit down Sweet 16 stitch regulator is sweet. Even my friend who does not FMQ well was able to make perfect stitches. So that was in the $6K range with the regulator - around $5K without the regulator. The Tin Lizzie sit-down was $4K, if I took the floor model, which FMQ'd similar to my Brother. Anyway I was left fairly underwhelmed.

I have both a Horizon and a Brother PQ1500s. I originally thought I would put the Brother on the frame, but found I loved piecing with it. I can get bang on scant stitch and with the rotary hook it makes a beautiful stitch for FMQ.

So here's what I really want...

What I want is the Brother PQ1500s or Juki 2010 with 16" - 18" of space. I only want to do 1/4" stitch and FMQ - that is it - and I'd like it for under $2K, which is what I paid for my Horizon, $1500 or under would be more attractive. Also - I want it self contained no oil pan. So does anyone know of someone who makes a mid-arm straight stitch machine with feed dogs? If not, why not? Do we need a email campaign, letting manufacturers know what we want?

Also, does anyone know if you have your machine stretched do you lose the feed dogs? I would rather buy one already stretched over going through that process. Like I said earlier my Brother PQ1500s is a gem and I want to leave it as is.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Yes, there are quite a few machines with that throat space with feed dogs. They're much more than 2K though!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 PM

My suggestion would be to be on the lookout for a used Brother or Juki model that you really like. You might just find one in your price range. I bought my stitch-regulated 15" bailey with frame, used, and it does a wonderful job. It was just one of those times when the stars were properly aligned: the machine was available at a time when I was surprised with a modest unexpected windfall, and the machine was within my price range. Win-win for all concerned.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Yes, there are quite a few machines with that throat space with feed dogs. They're much more than 2K though!
Do you know any names or places to purchase?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

look for the industrial machines.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Rick at WOW stretches and removes the feed dogs.

Usually when you put a machine (any size unless it started domestic) meant for a frame you loose the feed dogs. Also when you do SITD and 1/4 from seam on a frame you use a ruler and ruler foot on the machine not feed dogs.

You can get a set up with a brother, juki, or other 15-16 inch throat machine second hand if you start following some of the 'for sale' or 'quilting' groups on Yahoo!. You just need to sign up to be a member.

Good luck on your search.....
Old 03-29-2018, 07:45 AM

I have been looking too. It seems there is a huge jump in price once they go from 9 or 11 inches to 15 or 16 inches. I have the Grace SR2 frame and I really like it but my Juki 98 has a fairly narrow quilting space. I love the way it sews and it is a great, sturdy machine but once you get to the 2200 the price is several thousand more. I also just want to do my own quilting not for hire. Frustrating.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 AM

Rose, I just read the date on your post and had to laugh. It is now 6 years later so I wonder what you ended up buying and are you happy with it. Smiling in Alabama
Old 03-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Take a look at the Baby Lock Jazz. It runs about $1000. Buyer beware.... you get what you pay for.