Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you applique? >

Do you applique?

Do you applique?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

For anyne interested in machine applique, I highly recommend Harriet Hargrave's book. I have the first edition of her Mastering Machine Applique book and learned *tons* from it. She is very explicit and includes lots of photographs to illustrate techniques.

Here is a link to the 2nd edition of her book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach.../dp/157120136X
Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I would like to know who appliques? Also what is a good book to buy to learn how to applique.

Do you have any tips or tricks to share with us?

Any dvd's to buy to learn to applique?

Thanks again as this will be interesting.

Karen
I'm a huge fan of Elly Sienkiewicz. Her books are wonderful, they teach some history along with technique for needle turn applique. I began with her "Baltimore Beauties and Beyond" Vol.1. It was first published in 1989 and is now a very collectible book. I have most all of her books, lacking only the first, "Spoken Without a Word". I can't bring myself to pay the $150-$200 it now brings. It does contain some patterns, but most of them are repeated in other books she has published.
I am currently working on my own Baltimore Album quilt, which I will call "Canton Album" (since I live here). I am attaching pics of three blocks. The first was done as I was resuming applique and the others show progressive improvement. It's a skill easily lost if you don't keep it up.
I stitch with a wonderful group of 5 who are all intent on making an Album quilt within a year. I hope I can finish mine in that length of time. I stitch slowly and tend to rip it out if I'm not pleased with it.
I have done machine applique, but am never happy with it. I don't like the feel of the fusible web underneath. That's why I chose the classic look of needle turned hand work.
I hope you find this interesting, if not helpful.
Happy stitching!
Karen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46563.jpe   attachment-46564.jpe   attachment-46565.jpe  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

I love applique. I like hand applique, I prepare the pieces with freezer paper and hand stitch them with a blind stitch onto the background. I have also done fusible with a hand blanket stitch around the pieces. I have recently practised some machine applique, but my old Bernina doesn't have a blanket stitch on it and I don't like satin stitch, the blind hem stitch is ok but, I do prefer hand applique. I took a beginner class on it, I don't have an applique book.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
When I began to hand applique I bought the book APPLIQUE 12 EASY WAYS by Ellie Sienkiewicz. She teaches all the different ways to applique. She also includes many projects and patterns and suggests the best method to use for each. You can try any or all of them and decide which you like best. I find that I use different methods for the different pieces in each project. Have fun experimenting.
Ditto, I hand applique and have taken several classes from Ellie Sienkiewicz. This is a great book, I also have many of her Baltimore Album quilt books as well.

My favorite method is freezer paper on the back side and then leaving a small opening and pulling the freezer paper out, instead of cutting the back.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Google Goddess

Thanks for the infomation!

Originally Posted by sunlover
CRAFTYBEAR Karen Here is the method I use when I applique:
A. Trace Images: Turn pattern wrong side up on light box or window with a lot of light. Place fusible web glue side down(glue side feels pebbly) on pattern. Trace images with black felt pen or #2 pencil. Cut out tracings, leaving a narrow border (I leave about 1/4 ") of fusible web around each image. You will trim this away later..
B. Fuse tracings to Fabric: Place tracings glue side down on wrong side of fabric for each applique. Fuse with a DRY iron. Trim pieces to final shape called for by pattern.
C. Fuse appliques to Foundation: Remove backing paper from appliques and arrange on fabric. Fuse with DRY iron.
This is an easy method. I then stich each applique with a small zigzag stich after I have placed the appliques where I want them. You will be able to move the appliques after you've taken the paper off, just don't iron until you are satisfied with the placement of your appliques. I hope this is easy to understand. Good luck with this method.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Google Goddess

I just started a link for us on applique

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49858-1.htm