Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: Do you belong to a quilt guild?

  1. #1
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    Do you belong to a quilt guild?

    I just joined an evening guild in December.

    Last week joined a day guild. I love the show and tell.

    The evening guild is having some workshops. We had one a few weeks ago on the tube quilting.

    Karen

  2. #2
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,305
    No, I don't. The only one that's nearby is an "exclusive" one and they won't let anyone in. I've met a few of them and what they do mostly is compare who has the most expensive machines, gadgets, fabric, etc. I don't like "meetings" as such with all the parliamentary procedure and garbage, I'd rather just have a quilting group or a few ladies that want to get together and sew.
    One of the LQS/retreat centers has an open retreat once a month. Anyone can go, it's $15 a day or $35 to stay overnight and have 2 days or you can go for all 4 days. I'd rather do that than belong to a quild.

  3. #3
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,779
    Blog Entries
    1
    Raptureready, I'd stay as far away from that group as possible. That is NOT a quilting group, that's something else.

    I belong to 3 groups. Joined one of the about 15 years ago. We meet twice a month, once for a business meeting and the other is a "learning session". I have taught to that group many times (it's a very small group).

    I joined another group about two years ago that has just about 100 members. That group is so big that we cannot bring our machines to the monthly meetings, so we have a business meeting, a demo of something, snacks and always show and tell. They also put on a yearly retreat, which is a blast. Sometimes we go on bus trips to shows through this group.

    The third group puts on events such as Sharing Day, a spring event, quilt show, retreat, etc. This group has over 800 members.

    I also go to midnight quilters at a LQS. It goes from 6:00 till midnight. Love it!

    I cannot imagine not being in a quilting group. When quilting is your passion, it is so helpful to be with others who share the same passion. :)

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,246
    Blog Entries
    194
    Also there is a group of quilter that meets at a church once a month for a day workshop. You just take your machine and quilt. Everyone is so nice and helpful. We all take a covered dish for a pitch in lunch.


    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you belong to a quilt guild?

    I just joined an evening guild in December.
    Last week joined a day guild. I love the show and tell.
    The evening guild is having some workshops. We had one a few weeks ago on the tube quilting.

    Karen

  5. #5
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Raptureready, I'd stay as far away from that group as possible. That is NOT a quilting group, that's something else.

    I belong to 3 groups. Joined one of the about 15 years ago. We meet twice a month, once for a business meeting and the other is a "learning session". I have taught to that group many times (it's a very small group).

    I joined another group about two years ago that has just about 100 members. That group is so big that we cannot bring our machines to the monthly meetings, so we have a business meeting, a demo of something, snacks and always show and tell. They also put on a yearly retreat, which is a blast. Sometimes we go on bus trips to shows through this group.

    The third group puts on events such as Sharing Day, a spring event, quilt show, retreat, etc. This group has over 800 members.

    I also go to midnight quilters at a LQS. It goes from 6:00 till midnight. Love it!

    I cannot imagine not being in a quilting group. When quilting is your passion, it is so helpful to be with others who share the same passion. :)
    wow, 7x! Sounds like you are living the quilters dream and having a blast. Nothing round here.
    Living in Flor-heat-a as i call it, there are many quilters, but they migrated a little further south of me :cry:
    Maybe i need to move to where you are, ahh...but I have another passion...grandbabies! So, guess this board is my "fix" and i love it :thumbup:

  6. #6
    Super Member LoisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Posts
    1,267
    I joined a guild in September and LOVE it. We meet once a month. There is a business meeting, a program, and show-and-tell. There is also a monthly workshop where you can take your machine and learn something new. They sponsor a bus trip every year and we are putting on our first quilt show this weekend. It's been lots of work, but I think it will be a blast. They also do series quilts and lots of charity projects. Great group of people.

  7. #7
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Raptureready, I'd stay as far away from that group as possible. That is NOT a quilting group, that's something else.

    I belong to 3 groups. Joined one of the about 15 years ago. We meet twice a month, once for a business meeting and the other is a "learning session". I have taught to that group many times (it's a very small group).

    I joined another group about two years ago that has just about 100 members. That group is so big that we cannot bring our machines to the monthly meetings, so we have a business meeting, a demo of something, snacks and always show and tell. They also put on a yearly retreat, which is a blast. Sometimes we go on bus trips to shows through this group.

    The third group puts on events such as Sharing Day, a spring event, quilt show, retreat, etc. This group has over 800 members.

    I also go to midnight quilters at a LQS. It goes from 6:00 till midnight. Love it!

    I cannot imagine not being in a quilting group. When quilting is your passion, it is so helpful to be with others who share the same passion. :)
    Don't worry, I don't go near that group.
    I belong to three BOM's and a Strips and Scraps club. We sew, talk and have no Parliamentary procedures of any kind. LOL

  8. #8
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,164
    I belong to a VERY informal one. Most laid back group of quilters I've met since I started this. Nothing formal, "meetings" are during lunch, and calling them meetings is a stretch. We are going on a retreat in May (I think I'm going, sure hope I can get away from here to do it) and I just love them.

    There are some guilds close by that I'm not sure I want to be part of. But there are some others that have more appeal to me.

    Just my 2 cents.

  9. #9
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    8,489
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    No, I don't. The only one that's nearby is an "exclusive" one and they won't let anyone in. I've met a few of them and what they do mostly is compare who has the most expensive machines, gadgets, fabric, etc. I don't like "meetings" as such with all the parliamentary procedure and garbage, I'd rather just have a quilting group or a few ladies that want to get together and sew.
    One of the LQS/retreat centers has an open retreat once a month. Anyone can go, it's $15 a day or $35 to stay overnight and have 2 days or you can go for all 4 days. I'd rather do that than belong to a quild.
    I had a similar experience. Reminded me of why I don't do PTA anymore either.

  10. #10
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    No, I don't. The only one that's nearby is an "exclusive" one and they won't let anyone in. I've met a few of them and what they do mostly is compare who has the most expensive machines, gadgets, fabric, etc. I don't like "meetings" as such with all the parliamentary procedure and garbage, I'd rather just have a quilting group or a few ladies that want to get together and sew.
    One of the LQS/retreat centers has an open retreat once a month. Anyone can go, it's $15 a day or $35 to stay overnight and have 2 days or you can go for all 4 days. I'd rather do that than belong to a quild.
    If there were such a thing as the retreat you are talking about around here, it would always be full!! Standing room only, enjoy it, it sounds wonderful.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.