Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you bind by machine or by hand? >

do you bind by machine or by hand?

do you bind by machine or by hand?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 AM

No, computer work. I sewed when I was a younger, but just started up again about 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by Renee110
Originally Posted by jjuhl
I do most of mine by machine anymore - carpal tunnel makes my hand fall asleep when I do hand stitching (very annoying!). I found this really cool binding foot that works great.
Thanks for the tip! Did you get carpal tunnel from sewing?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

I just recently started machine stitching both sides (before, I machine stitched the front, and then hand stitched the back).

What I do: machine stitched front, then pull the binding around to the back and iron the heck out of it so that the fabric has "memory" and holds its position (the binding in the back is a little wider than what's in the front). Then use nice thick pins to hold the binding in place in the back and to prevent wrinkles. I then SID in the front to grab the binding in the back. It's virtually invisible on the front, and the back looks nice and tidy, if you iron and pin properly.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM

try machine stitching to back first then bring the binding up over the front and then you can follow the binding line on the front so you can get it straight and if it is not quite right on the back it won't look so bad as if it were on the front.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM

I bind by machine also but I use a fancy stitch on the front of the binding. If you are entering your quilts in a fair or show the binding has to be done by hand.
Ann from Montana
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM

If it is a large quilt that I have longarmed I usually get the binding done by machine. If it is a small quilt or quilted item I do myself, then I do a handstitched binding. My preference is definitely handstitched.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I machine stitch the front and hand stitch the back.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM

I do my bindings all by machine. I sew the binding to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front and
stitch it down with a straight stitch.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM

I machine stitch. Will try using the decorated stitches on the next binding I put on.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:03 PM

I stitch the sandwiching first and trim so it is all even, then pin all the way around to back. I machine on the back, then bring over to the front to topstich so it is all even on the front. I find my corners are neater that way. I could probably be finished faster handstitching for all that pinning. Oh well...
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I sew the binding on the front by machine, then hand stitch the back down. Looks much neater than machine stitches on the front. However, when I do "Quilts for Kids" or "Quilts of Valor" that will receive a lot of laundering, I will sew the binding on the back and stitch down onthe front with embroidery stitches. They cover the machine stitches very well.