Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: do you bind by machine or by hand?

If for charity/children, by machine, otherwise by hand as they drape better--not as stiff....
    I serge the edge first on the ones for children or charity--MUCH easier then!

Machine attach to the front and then hand sew onto the back.

Oh my, what to share...Two weeks ago I tried sewing the back by machine, after machine stitching the front, and It took me several hours to rip it. I am still having nightmares over how awful it looked and,oh my, the wrinkles that appeared on the front. I create on my 1936 FW so, of course there are no fancy stitches. I love hand stitching the back even tho I drop the needle a lot because I dont feel it so well anymore. Any way is correct though, just do what YOU prefer. Merry Christmas :lol:

Machine almost always. I would do it by hand if the piece is hand quilted and or hand pieced.

I do mostly Kids quilds, I only machine sew binding. I cannot hand sew. I prefer my Machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tutty
    I put my bindings on by machine and then handstitch but I would like to learn how to completely machine stitch front and back without the stitch showing through on the front, I've seen it look that way but my tests have not worked out so......
    These Youtube videos (part 1 and 2) by Leah Day might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related

I prefer machine stitching the whole binding. I'm impressed the quilt shop had quilts done that way. Ours only has ones that have been sewn on by hand.

Talking about binding I have this metal tube things that my mother had when she made braided rugs. There was 3 of them but I lost two of them. So big idea came into head I can use this for making my own binding as it rolls the fabric and folds it and just have to iron it as the fabric rolls out. Don't have to go buy binding and can use what ever fabric I want and as long as I need it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I machine sew the binding on the front then turn it and sew the back by hand so the stitches don't show. It's very relaxing to do while watching TV at night.
    Me too! I think it is relaxing to sew a binding by hand too. Chance to sit and rest, be with the hubby and watch some TV as well.
    Sewnique

I always sewn mine by hand, last one I done by machine and was surprise at just how good it turned out....no more hand sewn bindings here, was just so easy! :thumbup:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast