Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I >

Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

Old 04-06-2012, 05:50 AM

Unhappy Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

For many years, I was "guilty" of buying fabric because I liked it and would say I'd use it someday. Well...I've had to stop this type of buying and let me tell you I miss it! DH and I have had to somewhat downsize and out went 90% of my stash, right into a dumpster! EEEKKKK! Some of my fabric had gotten moth eaten, some had become mouse nests. I stored my fabric in the large Rubbermaid tote boxes in a dry garage, which turned out to not be totally dry (mildew on some fabric). Now, I only buy fabrics for the project I am currently working on. I have less than 5 yards in my stash. Not really a stash now, is it? I guess my question is really this, how do you store your fabrics, so my types of mishaps won't happen (not the DH cleaning it out...LOL) but the bugs, rodents and mildew? I don't have room in my closets, and my sewing room is tiny (8 ft. x 9 ft) and shares space with book shelves and my DH's musical instruments., so neither of these is an option for me. Suggestions? Thanks for listening to my tale of woe...I'm a very sad quilter in New Hampshire!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 AM

Oh you poor thing! I feel so bad that your stash has gone. I don't have a sewing room, so my own stash is stored flat-folded in the drawers of three Ikea Pax units. Each unit has 4 drawers and at the moment they are stuffed to the top. I've made myself a personal promise not to buy any more fabric until I use some of what I have. This is a promise I probably won't keep, because when I see a fabric I like, I have to buy it. My most recent crush is on a fabric called Folklorico "In The Beginning". Found two yards of it, used it for a quilt I just finished this week and now I discover that it comes in other colorways. Must have.
Again - my sympathies to you and your depleted stash.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:01 AM

This is a very sad story....I am so sorry for your loss!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM

I threw my husband out and his dresser is now my stash holder!! That and a hope chest and a few rubbermaid totes..Since I don't have a sewing room all this is on my bedroom, and it does have a cluttered look, but I really don't care!! It's what makes me happy!!! Of course guess where I am going today...Joannes with my coupons to buy more fabric!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you have lost your stash! I store my fabric in my sewing nook. It isn't very big but a have a small closet with shelves. It's enough for me. Can you go through a clothes closet and free up enough space for a rolling shelf unit? How about the rolling sweater rubbermaid containers that are made to roll under the bed? I find it best to store fabric in the same space I live, if I'm confortable, I figure my fabric is bug free and moisture free.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM

i only buy for a current project. I do have a stash that comes from "i'll make this someday" and someday has never gotten here. The only thing that I do "collect" is '30-s fabrics. I WILL make something out of them sooner or later.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 AM

So sorry your stash had to be thrown away. My stash is so out of control it is all over my sewing room. I made up my mind that if I find something I just have to have I will find a pattern and buy the fabric and all the matching fabrics and make the project as soon as I can.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 AM

I have too stopped buying I have so much it overwhelms me and I find I do nothing . Now the fabrics keep getting prettier and I also find my tastes have also changed . I am in the process of gathering and sorting for a few projects and the rest is going in the dump as well I mush have room to sew and currently I do not It is a long and difficult decision but don't you feel better now !
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Sorry for your loss of fabric. I am lucky that I do have a 'sewing room' that also houses my stash (in the closet, on shelves). I do purchase fabrics that I 'love' for future use (usually from the sale area). But I am running out of room in that closet, so lately I have been shopping/sewing from my stash. But just when I am getting the stash down to a manageable amount, I find more in the sale area that needs to go into my stash.

But I will NOT purchase so much that I would have to store in the garage and or in bins or in other rooms then my sewing room. It would be to easy to forget that it is 'hidden' in other places and not get used.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 AM

Please don.t dump fabric. Places need donations. Thrift stores, quilt guilds, Lutheran world relief. We make quilts for others and can always use fabric. Older designs, out of date fabrics are still great. Call a quilt store , they can usually give you the name of a guild nearby, someone will be thrilled.