Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Challenge yourself . . . . >

Do You Challenge yourself . . . .

Do You Challenge yourself . . . .

Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 AM

to try 'new' methods?

In '09 I started hand embroidery redwork and some reverse applique. I found that I like to do hand sewing. :shock: It is easy to do while watching the boob-tube or when you will have to be waiting for the Dr. appt., or picking up kid, etc. etc.

What have you tried that is a 'challenge' to you?
Did you like or not like it?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

I am getting ready to start a flannel quilt for my great grandson. The fabric is so stretchy compared to the regular cotton I normally sew. Also the lint is BAD!! sneeze, sneeze. I am going to start sewing it today and I think it may challenge me a great deal ;-)
My next real challenge will be to finish the hand quilting on a quilt my Mother had started. It's half quilted with her nice even stitches.....I think my half will be a lot different!!

Ditter
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM

A few years back, I started a block of the month. Up untill that time, I had never done any.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I take any and all quilt classes and workshops that I can in my area. I learn something from each one. Some are very challenging to me but I make myself finish the class project. Some methods I know I won't use again. I didn't like the Stack and Whack method but enjoyed Snippets. So many new things to try!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 AM

I am attempting, key word, applique. I know for a fact that all the advice I got was good here as well I discarded some to try fusing and applique after the fabric is fused. Well, suprise suprise its hard as heck (gee did I hear that would be hard maybe 10 times .. yes yes I did).. so now I am working on the third block without fusing and its a hard in a different way. Won't stop me from completing my project however. Also this months BOM I had a hard time with first round so the next day I did it again. And it wasnt hard at all. So yes I think challenging yourself is not too bad and in the end the TADA you did it that you give yourself.. is pretty darn great.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Every doll quilt that I make I try and use a new technique... It is on a smaller scale, and a good way to try out new ideas too :D:D:D
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM

I just started my first bargello.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM

I joined the block a month quilting bee to challenge myself and it is working out great. Some block I have to do two or three times but finally I get it! I will have alot of blocks of uneven size to do something with! Maybe next Christmas everyone will get pillows!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm going to practice more advanced piecing techniques. I'm going to work on y-seams and a few other more advanced types of blocks, get out of the quick and easy ways I love so much :D
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM

I do redwork also. Rite now I am working on Christmas blocks for a quilt. When I am done with that I will work on a snowman one for my DD. I did the stack and whack and really enjoyed it. I am also taking a class at my lqs. We do a block a month and it is all applique. It is also to show us how to use the decretive stitches on our enbroidery machines for more than just enbroidery. There are so many new ones that I want to try. I have a notebook where I write them down and as I do them I check them off. Believe me, the list gets longer every day!