Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you download all fabrics for EQ7? >

Do you download all fabrics for EQ7?

Do you download all fabrics for EQ7?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Do you download all fabrics for EQ7?

I just installed EQ7. I am wondering if I should download all the fabrics available (for free) on the Do You EQ site or not. How many of you find it useful? I have downloaded the fabrics for Jan 2015. I would love your opinions! Thank you.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 PM

I have only the fabrics on the initial disc. Most times I can find something close enough to the fabrics I have (many of which are either batiks or somewhat vintage) to work for design purposes. Eventually I intend to scan in specific fabrics if I can't find anything close in the fabric library.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:23 PM

I, too, have only the fabrics on the initial disc. I look for something similar and call it good. I don't use it a lot, so you may be in a different situation. I mostly use EQ7 to determine fabric yardage and block construction.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I have downloaded it for EQ5 but haven't asked technical support what I am doing wrong since it seems to keep going to EQ5 instead of EQ7. The more fabric I have the happier I am with my quilt designs. Be sure to go thru the manufacturer fabric on EQ7 since you will find a lot of neat fabrics.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

The fabrics that came with my EQ5 were blah, so I have taken to importing them. I find something I think is pretty, or some I have actually bought and load that in. It's neat to see what my quilt will look like before I start cutting.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have downloaded it for EQ5 but haven't asked technical support what I am doing wrong since it seems to keep going to EQ5 instead of EQ7. The more fabric I have the happier I am with my quilt designs. Be sure to go thru the manufacturer fabric on EQ7 since you will find a lot of neat fabrics.
Just guessing here....Your EQ7 is probably in a different folder than your EQ5. If you are downloading EQ5 fabrics for use in v7, you probably need to move the download to your v7 folder. Depending on the operating system on your computer, you should be able to go to the 'my downloads' folder and either copy/paste or 'move' to the correct EQ version folder.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM

As the manual says, downloading all the fabrics will make EQ run slower. I download the ones I want/need as I need them, but most of the time, I simply take a picture of the fabric I want to use in my design, then download it into EQ. That gives me a better idea of what I'm doing.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:30 PM

I just use the ones the ones that came with the program to play around with ideas. Then, I scan the actual fabrics so I can get a better idea of what it will look like.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM

I have downloaded all of them and love having the choices. They download in 6 month sections, so it is not as many files as you think it is. I am on a cable modem, so it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to download one of the files. I would absolutely hate to be without them.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 PM

A couple of years ago I started downloading the free fabrics when available from EQ7, Moda, etc. When I started designing my brother's QOV I realized how huge those fabric files were, how much a waste it was when I didn't have those exact fabrics, and it made no sense for me to design using something I probably would never have on hand. I deleted all the fabric files and started scanning all my own fabrics into jpg files, and I imported those into my designs in EQ7. Works slick, and now I only have files of exactly what I can find in my own stash.