Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever do a major design change mid-quilt?? >

Do you ever do a major design change mid-quilt??

Do you ever do a major design change mid-quilt??

Old 06-07-2015, 08:37 PM

I frequently change quilts in mid course -- I experiment a lot with color and even though I hang the colors on the design wall sometimes they don't play nicely when they are in a block. I always put the blocks on the design wall so I know how they will look before I sew them together.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 AM

I have one on my design wall that has been in progress forever. It has changed direction several times. I think I finally have enough of the one fabric that I thought I couldn't get any more of and then found some. Hopefully when I get back home after the summer it will cooperate and I can get it finished. My youngest DS is probably thinking I don't love him anymore since this quilt was supposed to be for his birthday and Christmas two tears ago. Lol!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your disappointment. Usually putting a design concept on EQ7 usually does the trick. Wish you had posted a photo so maybe we could help out.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
So sorry for your disappointment. Usually putting a design concept on EQ7 usually does the trick. Wish you had posted a photo so maybe we could help out.
I'm not sure how to put the quilt from my EQ7 onto the QB--I'll try to figure that out, but...
The main problem is that the original Storm at Sea blocks had the diamond "sashings" on all four sides and it lost the circular illusion--cutting it back to the diamonds not being double between the blocks does bring back that illusion. I dug through all my left over fabric and managed to get all the extra parts cut--except need about another yard of one--luckily it's the one I got at the LQS. These fabrics were from daughter's wedding and it's meant to be their 1st anniversary quilt--so glad I had enough fabric except the one!

Think the thing that has been most frustrating is I worked and re-worked this quilt in EQ, on paper, etc--maybe that was the problem!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 PM

ok--I give up trying t post photos of what I'm talking about--I've resized and attempted to attach for over an hour now--dang it!
Attached Thumbnails eq7-storm-sea.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM

well--the latest version posted and this is the version I plan to use--with the left side also having the smaller diamond and square in a square---just noticed that! Here is the version that I decided against (if it posts!).
Attached Thumbnails patchwork-plus-s-sea-opt-1.jpg