Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever have a jinxed project?

I decided that Iíd like to make a lap quilt for my Mum. I chose a paper-pieced block that looked to be well within my capabilities, but Iím really struggling! Do you ever have a project that just seems to be jinxed? Anything I could do wrong I have: sewing the fabric on the wrong way round, getting the fabric doubled over, cutting off the wrong piece of paper..... at one point the needle even fell out of the sewing machine! Each block has 4 sections: I got 2 sections together and they wouldnít line up. Three days and I havenít even completed one block! And there are 30 in the quilt.... If I donít manage to get the first one completed today, itís back to the drawing board.

Blog Entries
    our local landfill is decorated by my jinxed projects. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    our local landfill is decorated by my jinxed projects. :lol:
    Lol.

So sorry about your frustration. Good luck!

Yep Me too! I've got one right now that I decided enough is enough. Its a 6 year old ufo and it over! It has had bad quilting mojo from the start. Piecing was a nightmare, I choose homespun not understanding its worse than trying to sew two live snakes together. Two sewing machines broke during its construction, broken needles, missed stitches, puckers, if something could go wrong it has. So I decided last week I was gonna finish it and be done. Its not meant to be, Immediately the thread in my machine starts fraying, the bobbin area gets a jam of thread. Throwing in the towel on this one. I'm having a fire tonight outside and this quilt is going in it! The funny thing is I started making this quilt for my ex-husband. The pattern was called Carrie Nation. Well just like my marriage to him, it was more drama than I wanted in my life.

OH YES!!I decided to make the quilt called Flying Kamona from the ModaBakeshop.The instructions were not very clear.Even though I have been sewing for more than 60 years this one got to me.I carfully sewed my 2 1/2 strips together and cut them at the 45 degree as the pattern said being carfull not to stretch the strips. Needless to say , It still came out wonky.So I ripped them apart.represed using my 45 degree ruler.Still having trouble. so I printed off the pattern on freezer paper and used it to paper piece the strips. It works!!!!

Yep! I'm working on one now that I am methodically UNsewing 11 blocks for at least the second time. When I re-sewed one of them last night and squared up the block I managed to lop off too much on one side - I'm still not sure how, I was very careful - so now we're in the 1/8" seam allowance territory. I HOPE.

This thing is about to become a dog blanket. I'll send my college-bound niece a box of microwave popcorn and a check.

YES! and it always seems that the ones that I want to be a little more perfect than usual always have the most mistakes. I mean..I can sit and whip one up for no reason and it doesn't have a slipped stitch one. But if I'm making one for someone special...grrr... How does it do that??!

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep Me too! I've got one right now that I decided enough is enough. Its a 6 year old ufo and it over! It has had bad quilting mojo from the start. Piecing was a nightmare, I choose homespun not understanding its worse than trying to sew two live snakes together. Two sewing machines broke during its construction, broken needles, missed stitches, puckers, if something could go wrong it has. So I decided last week I was gonna finish it and be done. Its not meant to be, Immediately the thread in my machine starts fraying, the bobbin area gets a jam of thread. Throwing in the towel on this one. I'm having a fire tonight outside and this quilt is going in it! The funny thing is I started making this quilt for my ex-husband. The pattern was called Carrie Nation. Well just like my marriage to him, it was more drama than I wanted in my life.
    Oh Lea, thankyou for the laugh! I think that quilt is trying to tell you that that part of your life is definitely over!

Power Poster
    Yes, sometimes the quilt isn't done but I am soooooo done with that quilt! If it can't be repurposed into something else, I send it to the secondhand shop. I figure maybe someone else can save it and I have no guilt about letting it go.

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I decided that Iíd like to make a lap quilt for my Mum. I chose a paper-pieced block that looked to be well within my capabilities, but Iím really struggling! Do you ever have a project that just seems to be jinxed? Anything I could do wrong I have: sewing the fabric on the wrong way round, getting the fabric doubled over, cutting off the wrong piece of paper..... at one point the needle even fell out of the sewing machine! Each block has 4 sections: I got 2 sections together and they wouldnít line up. Three days and I havenít even completed one block! And there are 30 in the quilt.... If I donít manage to get the first one completed today, itís back to the drawing board.
    I've had plenty of jinxed projects!

Good luck, hope you can get this project sorted out!
    :)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast