Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing? >

Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing?

Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 PM

I do it all the time, after all it's the true pioneer way
of doing it and women of long lost yesterday had no money are means to go out and buy new fabric, they used what
fabric they could buy to make there cloths and then once the cloths had served there purpose they cut them up for quilts, so I do this as well, as I figure some of there quilts are still around then maybe mine will be some day as well :}
Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by vicki75
Actually I just made a quilt out of old jeans. My dad requested a quilt made out of old jeans so I did it for him. I mixed the denim with bright batiks. It turned out pretty cool.
Where's the pictures? We like pictures!! :-P
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

not my clothes (i like them too much) but DH always has to watch out.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

My DH went shopping the other day for new shirts for himself. He came home and while trying to hide the bags he said, "nothing" meaning that he didn't buy anything. I went over to the bag, looked in and said, "FABRIC!" He said, "NO, shirts!"
O.k. I really didn't want to use that one for a quilt, so he is safe --- this time.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 AM

I see potential in so many things.. that tablecloth from Aunt Betsy, oh that shirt that looks hideous on the rack wouldnt that make a great... and thrift stores? OMG the greatest place to sneak some cool fabric finds in that NO one will be having in their projects so you know yours will be unique. Love that. I think we arent supposed to be telling everyone. At least the odd unite here!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Banned

i do that too, or look at tile/linolium and think quilt block?
yup, been there done that ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

http://quiltville.com/index.html

Bonnie Hunter has written a great book, now another coming out, and has a whole method for cutting up and repurposing jeans, flannel shirt, pj's, whatever! She pretty much ONLY used stuff like this! Take at look at some of her quilts~beautiful! gorgeous!
and it is the way it was originally done and costs almost no money!

I took some of my husband's old blue jeans and made a quilt for his grandson. I used an old world map in blues for the back. In the center I kept one of the Levi's pockets w/the tab. His grandson would put things in the pocket and loved it.
Sandra
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM

This is a good topic. A fellow co-worker had this dress that I just loved the color combination. I always told her if she was going to get rid of the dress to please give it to me, I would like to make a quilt with that color combination.

Well last year she was cleaning out her closet and she brought the dress to me. She is a senior lady who no longer works here, since b-4 christmas she was let go like I am about to be, anyway I plan to make her a lap quilt out of the colors.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM

I've been doing that to try to start a stash ... using my father's old flannel shirts and collecting old blue jeans from people at work to make a "raggy" jeans/flannel quilt.

I also see patterns everywhere. I know a guy at work thinks I'm nuts because I was taking a picture of the floor of the elevator when the door opened and he was standing there. I told him ... I'm going to do the pattern into a quilt ... his look didn't change, just a strange sort of smile/stare that I know means he thinks I'm a little 'off' LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

I also see patterns everywhere.

Sharon, I was wondering if anyone else sees things differently as I do. Glad to know I'm not alone