Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever split a fat batting? >

Do you ever split a fat batting?

Do you ever split a fat batting?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Default Do you ever split a fat batting?

Recently I bought a roll of poly batting for charity quilting. It was supposed to be thin but it's not. It's about 1" all puffed up. I made this charity quilt with it and I HATE how fat it is! Just wondering if anyone has any tips on splitting fat batting... Can I do this without the batting splitting unevenly? What's your experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

The FAT quilt:
Attached Thumbnails dsc02018.jpg  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Well, I love the quilt. If this is the charity quilt, the person getting it will too. I just love it. Don't change it at all.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM

I agree. It's so colorful and no one will mind if it's puffy. That being said, I did once split a thick batting with no problems.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Great colors! I wouldn't change a thing, I think it looks great.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Hi Sewbizgirl,

I split a wool batting once. Things went pretty well, but I did hit one spot where it wasn't as "even" as I wanted it to be. I think it would be even more difficult to evenly split a poly batting. Love your colorful quilt.

Pudge
Old 09-15-2015, 04:19 PM

I was given a roll of "fat" batting. I split it and it worked great.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:21 PM

I agree with all of the above. I can't help but wonder, tho, if the batting was folded when you used it. I made this mistake (at least) once. It can be difficult to tell! (Sometimes I feel like I'm peeling apart something I shouldn't.)

Some people - including my husband - hugely prefer a lofty quilt! (In fact, he's rejected my homemade quilts using flat batting in favor of a store-bought quilt for exactly this reason.)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I had the same problem with Hobbs Poly batting. It was sold to me as the batting people use all the time for donation quilts. I even told the people selling it that it was for preemie quilts. I have been splitting it but preemie quilts are very small. I think it would be very hard to split for a larger quilt. For very small baby quilts it is hard to use that thick a batting as the quilt becomes stiff. I just ordered Soft N Crafty toasty cotton batting to use for the smaller preemie quilts. It is on sale right now, 50% off and go to coupons and choose Sept60 for free shipping, and it is light weight and has a good drape unlike Warm and Natural or Hobby Poly bat.
http://www.joann.com/soft-n-crafty-t.../12395943.html
Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Some people - including my husband - hugely prefer a lofty quilt! (In fact, he's rejected my homemade quilts using flat batting in favor of a store-bought quilt for exactly this reason.)
Yes! What she is saying above. I think this larger quilt will be well received and loved as many people prefer poly batting. By the way you quilt is stunning!!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the compliments on the quilt. It was just a few evenings playing with my scraps.... and I am not going to change anything on that quilt, but I never want to make another one that fat again, ever.

I tried splitting the batting and I'm now quilting another charity lap quilt, and even tho the batting is now thinner, that polyester shifts all around! I just hate the stuff! Maybe I can chalk it up to experience and donate it to my charity group. I bought a whole roll! Ugh.

I'm just spoiled by the wonderful Hobbs 80/20 I normally use. It's my favorite of all.