Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do You Ever Starch/Best Press Jelly Roll Strips or Charm Square? Will it mishape them

Do You Ever Starch/Best Press Jelly Roll Strips or Charm Square? Will it mishape them

I have a few jelly rolls I would like to use but the fabric is very flimsy and has been handled quite a bit as the edges are very worn and frayed (they are Moda and I purchased them on line). They need to have a bit more "structure" before I start working with them so I thought about misting them with Best Press then very gently pressing (no moving the iron on the fabric--just press and lift). Will this shrink them too much to still be 2.5 inches? Do people normally do this and I just don't know??

I have used Best Press to gently press jelly rolls before cutting or sewing them. I haven't had any problems with stretching or shrinkage. Just be careful to press and not iron!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    Will this shrink them too much to still be 2.5 inches? Do people normally do this and I just don't know??
    FYI - this might be helpful (regardless if you starch or not) for sewing jelly roll strips (or any other, for that matter) that are aren't exactly the same width.

http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...May%20Vary.pdf

I don't use jelly rolls, but I do starch everything (heavily) before I sew it.
    Personal preference.
    Last edited by MTS; 11-11-2012 at 01:21 AM.

you might try starching on a small swatch. measure it before and after to see if there is any shrinkage.

Don't press while the fabric is wet and be gentle. I have stretched fabric before. Be careful.

I use the Best Press so the material won't stretch or get out of alignment. Esp if I have to make HSTs.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

MTS, thank you, that link was very interesting and informative.

Sunnye, I have not been sewing very long and am completely self taught. I use Best Press and was always wondering if you are suppose to let the fabric dry before pressing or press while still damp. I've been pressing while still damp about 1 to 3 minutes after misting.

MTS thanks for the link to bear paw i have seen her do this before and forgotten about this bookmarked it this time

I starch precuts.. but let them dry before ironing. Its easy to distort any cut piece if you try to press/or iron while there is moisture in the fabric.

Yes, you can press the strips/charm squares before using.....be careful to press...not iron...the ironing can stretch and make the strips especially distorted.