Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you ever...

...make your binding even before you start on the actual quilt?

Today I found some of the black Kona cotton I bought for binding for another quilt I'm working on (currently on hiatus while working on the Slipknot quilt). I figured since I'm not working on the Kittie quilt and the Slipknot quilt needs binding that I could use the fabric for the Slipknot quilt instead. So I began to get ready to prewash it when it occured to me that I have yet to get the materials in my possession and therefore don't have anything even to make into a quilt to attach the binding to. lol.

I use a lot of Kona black for all kinds of purposes. I frequently just cut yards of it into strips, which are often used for binding. I also cut left over fabrics into strips and put into a big box for whatever they need to be used for. Does that count?

Blog Entries
    I've been known to rob from one unfinished quilt to complete another. I do scrappy quilts so what ever works!:)

I buy 2 yard pieces of various fabrics just for binding. We all know that sewing is our choice of therapy, and when I need a "fix" I will cut my fabric and make binding. After making the binding, I fanfold it, wrap a couple pieces of blue painters tape around it and keep in a bag by my machine. When it's time to bind a quilt, I usually have a binding I can use.

This kinda takes care of two things at once, I've got my sewing fix and binding. Win win situation.

cjk
    I cut and make my binding when the mood strikes. I then wind them on an empty toilet paper roll. Then they are ready when I need them.

I have got several different fabrics already cut into binding and rolled on cardboard. I have no idea what I will use it on or when I will use it. But, it is ready for when I do need it.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Oh my! I'm not alone :)

Great idea about the toilet paper roll, had not thought about it. I have been using a piece of flat cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    I cut and make my binding when the mood strikes. I then wind them on an empty toilet paper roll. Then they are ready when I need them.
    i'ed have to fight my dog for them she loves to bat them around the floor i call them her doot-t-do's

Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    i'ed have to fight my dog for them she loves to bat them around the floor i call them her doot-t-do's
    I wrap mi pre-made binding around an empty spool of thread. Plenty of them around to use. If the mood strikes I will make the binding ahead of time for a soon to be WIP. Makes me more motivated to get to it that way.