Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you feel like this aboout your scraps? >

Do you feel like this aboout your scraps?

Do you feel like this aboout your scraps?

Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Do you feel like this aboout your scraps?

Went to get some scraps to do some random cutting with my new Accuquilt. I discovered that I really like the fabrics and don't want to cut them up without a plan to use them since I don't have much of the fabrics left. Sigh
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM

I leave all my scraps in the largest size until I know what project I will use them. I don't make scrappy quilts on a regular basis, but those that do seem to like to precut scraps into standard size strips or squares.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 PM

oh yes...and how about this? One of my quilt groups was doing a scrap project. They wanted us to bring in scraps to share. (and I have PLENTY!)....I...um....got kinda stingy and brought hardly any! I felt bad...but not TOO bad! lol! doing a collage class in Feb and not happy about paring down till after that project is complete. I dont like feeling stingy!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:38 PM

I have a rule-- if it's smaller than a 10" square and I just feel like playing with my die cutter then it's fair game--
I can always figure out what to do with those "precuts" later

Rob
Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM

We all have that sigh every now and then. I have cabinets with yardage of fabrics that have sat there for a couple of years because of this. I put large scraps in drawers in plastic bins and every now and then go to look for something to use for a specific project, and simply fold it back up into a small square and shut the drawer. OH, I have plans for it all, and know which quilts will get the fabrics, but I sometimes will go on to the next because I like to see it sit there all neatly folded and tucked away and looking all pretty-like. Sigh.....
Old 01-05-2017, 03:41 PM

I guess I am a middle of the road sort of person. If it is a fat eighth or larger, or if it is a batik, or if it is a 'special' fabric, I think twice. But I just went thru my (small) scrap bin--can't face the big one right now [shudder!!]--and started by cutting enough for a hexi flower which is 2 1/2x18 or 5x9 or 6x7 1/2. Then I tried to make the most of the leftovers. I was pleased with the results even tho I only got thru about a quarter of the bin.

For those of you that cut squares, remember that you can use --for example-- 2 1/2" (for the block) and 3" (for hsts) in the same top. It opens up a whole pile of new pattern possibilities.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM

I don't cut up anything before I am using it for a specific project. Then again, I only buy for projects but always over-buy so I have room for booboos. I've had to go back to some of them at times for repairs. I've also made other projects from leftovers that were not cut up. I am not generally a 'scrappy' quilter either. I suppose it depends on your personal style/preference. No guilt needed.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM

I struggle with this, too! I just started making a pretty straightforward lap quilt for my son - something he requested - and I went into my bin(s) of leftovers to look for appropriate fabrics. I found a perfect gold-on-gold and a perfect red-on-red, and enough of both. But it took every bit of willpower I had to actually use them!

I'm sure I purchased both at least four years ago, and I marveled at 1) how much I still like them and 2) how much better their quality is than much of what JAF has to offer these days. My instinct was to save them. I had to have a stern talk with myself that went along the lines of: "Save them for what? A quilt for your son isn't good enough? Do you have another plan for them? If you never use them, just what do you think will happen to this fabric when you die?"

I forced myself to use them. Sure hope the quilt turns out well!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM

I like making scrappy quilts so I love all my scraps! I also enjoy applique and keep tiny pieces for flower pedals, leaves, houses, etc. I keep telling myself that I should downsize my scraps, but in all honesty, I have a tough time throwing anything away.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 PM

I also never cut anything until I need a specific size. If I need 2 1/2", I will cut it out of a piece that is under 3" or go into the 5" box. Otherwise cutting into anything where I wouldn't be left with at least 1 1/2" would be a waste. I know, I know .... it's a serious problem that warrants an intervention of some kind.