Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 PM

I have never had that kind of experience! I usually get sympathetic encouragement and praise for what I do, and even offers of fabric or help!
I also am careful to keep my charity fabric separate from my personal stash, but I have an agreement with the head of the group for whom I sew that I can swap out equal quantitites when I find something more appropriate in my stash than has been donated to the charity!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM

So far I have never encountered anyone who would say anything like that, thank goodness.

How would they like it if they donated something to charity and the volunteers pilfered it for their own use or to give to their friends? My jaw dropped in amazement that they'd dare suggest something like that.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 AM

I just don't tell for that exact reason! It is hard but like you said someone donated it for the charity purpose then it goes to whatever cause it was donated to. I personally would feel guilty if I received anything for charity and used it what it was not intended for.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
How would they like it if they donated something to charity and the volunteers pilfered it for their own use or to give to their friends?
I had that happen. A church I was just starting to attend was having a silent auction to support children in need so I contributed 2 of my big dolls in a basket with several changes of clothes because I had a lot of holiday fabrics, there were outfits for halloween, easter, christmas, thanksgiving and st. patricks day. Plus some matching crocheted scrarves, purses, hats etc.

I went to the auction and didn't see my basket. Later I asked someone and they said, "oh, xxx decided it would be a great present for her granddaughter so she donated $5 and kept it herself."

What! I was absolutely furious. I wrote a letter to the pastor and the leadership committtee and let them know what had happened, explaining that I made these dolls to give to children batttling life threatening deseases and sold them for $30 each without anything extra (hey, I have to support my habit, stuffing doesn't grow on trees.) It would have been different if she had bid $5 and won.

Needless to say, that did not become my new home church.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM

Why would anyone ASSUME that you're going to give them something you've worked on, spending your time and money on that item, and that you'll just give it to anyone? :(

Of course, those people probably don't have a clue that it's more involved than going to Walmart and buying something that was made in a Chinese prison for pennies.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 PM

That is ridiculous people even say such things. If anything they should be saying how awesome it is that you're doing such a wonderful thing for those sick children. I think it's great! People who don't sew have no clue as to what is involved in making a quilt in terms of your time and work. Just cutting out the fabric is very time consuming or at least for me it is since I'm not that experienced yet. When I saw a quilt for sale many years ago in Lancaster, MD my jaw dropped at the price. I had never made one before, but after making one and mine was small I totally understand why they cost so much. So much time and effort is put into making a quilt.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

Sometimes, I think people are jealous of the beautiful things that others do. When they are embarrassed and feel like under-achievers, they make negative comments. What you do offers you as much joy as the recipients. Hold your head high and we salute you!!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by virgwid
She was having a yearly luncheon for all the workers, volunteers, donors etc. Of course we had to cook for our own luncheon. Our group cooked a lot to help out. Guess what was being given away to everyone as a thank you for the help/donations? People were winning them as prizes, getting 2 to 3 of them at a time to take home. Thank goodness I wasn't there. They probably would have had to call the cops on me for threatening her life! Needless to say we never had another thing to do with that shelter.
I guess I think a bit differently. I've not had time to read all the other comments (just go to page 3 of 8 before replying) but I differ.

If you made the afghans for the ladies and their children, then yes, you can be angry, but if you made them for the charity itself, then your afghans are going towards their purpose. How much of your Red Cross donations do you think actually make it to the PEOPLE that Red Cross helps and how much to actually aid Red Cross in getting there, keeping their website up, paying their electric bill,etc. In a way, your afghans were saving the charity money by providing door prizes so that they didn't have to spend money in order to buy door prizes.

So, while they didn't go to the women, they did go to help the charity. If that upsets you, then by all means don't support them again.

However, some people don't mind such a thing. I wouldn't, if the charity was saying thank you to all the people who helped, then, they were probably very grateful for their afghans. It is very possible that they will actually be valued more than the ladies who get it for free. These ladies in essence, received them as a thank you gift. I think it is sweet and I don't think the charity should be shut down because of such a thing.

When you donate something, you are donating it to the charity (usually). How it uses its donations is up to it.

If someone donates fabric to you in order to make charity quilts but you make a couple to sell out of the fabric, then is it wrong? What if you need that money to buy batting and thread? I think if that is the purpose, then it is fine. Assuming money is tight, how else are you going to get the batting? I can't imagine anyone caring who donates fabric. They want the "cause" furthered" and if you deem it that way, then by all means, "go for it".

At least that's what I think.

If you don't trust the owners/organizers of the charity to use the donations/money/stuff that you give, choose a different charity.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM

I am so sorry you have had to deal with those people. Our quilt quild and Bee made over 150 quilts for children that get displaced from their homes, for what ever reason. I work at JaAnns part time and have customers bring in fabric so we could make more. I have never had that happen and again I am so sorry and hope this does not change what you are doing. just tell them it is for a program and not general public I guess. good luck and bless you for doing it.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I also have had your reaction a few times and I've had a few "that's alot of time and money for just Charity". I don't belong to a group as I don't drive and my time is not always my own. But I like to make cloth dolls and quilts during the year with my left overs for our local Children's hosiptal. I have been doing it for close to 20 years now. I think all of us who want to donate whatever we can are blessed just for doing the donating. Enough said.