Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you hate hand sewing down your binding >

do you hate hand sewing down your binding

do you hate hand sewing down your binding

Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I actually enjoy sewing the binding by hand. It's probably the only hand sewing I do and I find it relaxing.
Ditto--I don't mind sewing the binding by hand either and I like the looks of it better. I usually hand sew while watching TV.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 AM

I like the looks of hand sewing the binding to the backing. I use Essential thread from Connecting Threads and have found that it does tangle some when handsewing with it. I run my thread through Thread Heaven to help with tangling.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 AM

I now machine sew the binding to the back then sewing the remainder to the front now that I have greatly improved my mitered corners. DONE!
sandy
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 AM

I thought I hated hand-sewing the binding, but then I tried doing it by machine. It was a disaster, and I spent more time ripping out stitches than I would have spent stitching by hand, and said a lot of bad words in the process. Granted, I was using my spare machine that probably wasn't up to the task, but it pretty much turned me off the idea of doing it by machine.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
Not all of us are physically able to do hand stitching, so I get pretty irritated when someone implies I don't care about a quilt I am making if I don't hand stitch the binding. The arthritis and carpal tunnel (both!) in my hands just won't let me do quality hand work, and I am not going to do lousy hand work. I sew my bindings to the back, flip them over, and then do a decorative stitch to attach the front. My favorite is a feather stitch, but I have used others. Sewn this way they are robust and easy to care for. Most people comment very positively on the decorative stitching too.

Note the main charity I quilt for, Quilts for Kids, requires machine sewing on bindings because it stands up to the hospital washing machines.

Pam

I totally agree with your comment. I have carpel tunnel also so I do not enjoy hand work.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
To me, the quilt is instantly worth less when someone doesn't care enough to handstitch the binding. I know others may differ, but that's how I feel on the topic.

What a horrible thing to say.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I have always wondered why it was "expected" that "real" quilts would have the binding stitched by hand. For most of us, everything on a quilt is done by machine. Why all of a sudden at the finish line, are we suppose to hand stitch? I am quite capable of handstitching, I have the skills and the physical ability to do so but it just has never made sense to me. No one that I have ever gifted a quilt to has ever even mentioned the binding. It would take several hours to handstitch the binding on a king sized quilt, it wouldn't be as strong and no one on my list of quilt receivers would even notice or care so I'm not doing it! I'd rather use that extra time to start a new quilt.
Several hours to hand stitch a king quilt binding??? Wow. I sew at about 15 minutes a foot. I should be called Sew Sloooooow instead of Sew Sew! Good for you!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I love hand stitching my bindings, it is often my favorite part of the quilt! :-) * mainly because when the last stitch is stitched it means another quilt is finished. * it seems like there is always more sewing waiting by the sewing machine, its nice to finish away from it. ;-)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM

I agree with Shelbie. Maybe a baby quilt, but not a king and those are what I tend to make.