Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting? >

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Do you have an "artistic tempermant" about your quilting?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Afton
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
With tongue in cheek, ask them to look into it for you. You would of course want to pay the household bills, eat and make a profit so you know you can't sell yourself short, etc., etc., etc. My guess would be that once they do they'll get the picture. Hand quilting is so time consuming it is not a moneymaker.
That is the part that aggravating as anything, my dad doesn't believe me that it wouldn't be profitable.

And I don't mean to complain... much. They are very encouraging. The part that's hard for me is that even if I don't ask for it I get comments..."Shouldn't that be more symmetrical?"... "You sit there all the day and do that?! I'd be bored..." Sheesh.

And last night I was laying out some 4patch posy squares and my sister came up and started re arranging them...
Lol.. I just read that and realize that its super apparent that I'm a control freak. Hehehehe!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
With tongue in cheek, ask them to look into it for you. You would of course want to pay the household bills, eat and make a profit so you know you can't sell yourself short, etc., etc., etc. My guess would be that once they do they'll get the picture. Hand quilting is so time consuming it is not a moneymaker.
That is the part that aggravating as anything, my dad doesn't believe me that it wouldn't be profitable.

And I don't mean to complain... much. They are very encouraging. The part that's hard for me is that even if I don't ask for it I get comments..."Shouldn't that be more symmetrical?"... "You sit there all the day and do that?! I'd be bored..." Sheesh.

And last night I was laying out some 4patch posy squares and my sister came up and started re arranging them...
Your sister is lucky she has you for a sister...mine would have pulled back bloody stumps!! ;) :lol:
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Re Dad: Next time, add up all the hours you spent on a project, and all the $ for supplies etc. Then ask him how much he thinks folks would pay. Deduct your expenses and when it turns out you'd be working for $0.37/hour, he'll get the picture.
Re Sis: I'll bet she's been picking at you your whole life and has not just started with the quilting. Maybe you should give her a small quilt kit for her BD and let her try it. You could give her some encouraging remarks!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM

I agree with PaperPrincess.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM

I always welcome opinions and advice. I'm always looking for ways to improve. But bossiness get me irritated.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Should have handed her a needle and thread and gone and got yourself a glass a wine.
Either she would have got the point and stopped messing in your fabric, or she would have continued on her own, and maybe not been so critical next time (maybe)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn

Should have handed her a needle and thread and gone and got yourself a glass a wine.
Either she would have got the point and stopped messing in your fabric, or she would have continued on her own, and maybe not been so critical next time (maybe)
:XD: :thumbup:
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM

I have an "artistic temperment" very supportive husband..but my creativity can't be put on a schedule..and that's what my grown kids and Grandkids don't understand..if I'm on a roll..I want to be left alone and work..even if it's through the night..I take Weds. as a total quilt day..open house on week-ends..then one of them will come to my sewing room and they hate the "Bargello" I'm working on..lol..I'm at peace with it and have sold a few..so that's my goal..for extra money..I did an exhibit for a month and sold $1000.00 worth..2 were the ones my older DD said she wouldn't show at all..I love it all..so much..I just have to be a little ruder for more time..lol..!! I love critique..it's all about taste and art..if we all thought the same way we wouldn't have an art world !!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM

I say "when I want your opinion - I'll ask you for it." I can be sugar-sweet when I say it......or I can be.....well you know. I will ask for opinions, but I'd rather ask other quilters and not family members (except my Hubby - he gives excellent advice) I agree with MelodyWB - creativity can't be scheduled. When I'm in the zone, leave me alone! I'm in the ZONE!!!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I say "when I want your opinion - I'll ask you for it." I can be sugar-sweet when I say it......or I can be.....well you know. I will ask for opinions, but I'd rather ask other quilters and not family members (except my Hubby - he gives excellent advice) I agree with MelodyWB - creativity can't be scheduled. When I'm in the zone, leave me alone! I'm in the ZONE!!!!!
Love that expression "When I'm in the zone..leave me alone" going to make a sign for my door !!