Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have an 'Eye for Color'? >

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Do you have an 'Eye for Color'?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Like anything else, color is something that can be learned. I love color and receive many compliments on my color sense. I have taken at least 15 formal in-person classes in color theory and probably have 20 or more books on the subject. The best places to get these classes are at big quilt shows and at university art classes. There are also books out there. Jinny Beyer and Joen Wolfram have been two of my teachers, in person and through their books. If you can locate their books, that would help you. They may be out of print. You can also learn a lot by mixing paints.

I know a lot of quilters don't like the color wheel, and that is probably because they don't understand it. The color wheel is my friend (and yours) ; in fact, one of my favorite things is color. I carry a color wheel in my purse. I'm not going to confuse you by discussing all the color systems there are; we'll just assume you are using the "normal" one for the Western world. I might be able to help you. Please get yourself a color wheel, the stiff paper kind that has a movable dial. Be sure it has lines to indicate complements, triads, split complement, and tetards.

I'll be back later to explain more. I put my back out and I'm in pain.
Fellow quilters, I'm going to have to be excused from giving lessons on color for the next few weeks, if you wouldn't mind. Doc says I have a herniated disk and I'm in ferocious pain despite pain pills, etc. I can start a new thread regarding color theory lessons after I've recovered, if you like.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Fellow quilters, I'm going to have to be excused from giving lessons on color for the next few weeks, if you wouldn't mind. Doc says I have a herniated disk and I'm in ferocious pain despite pain pills, etc. I can start a new thread regarding color theory lessons after I've recovered, if you like.
I would love to see more from you once you are feeling better. I found both of the authors that you had mentioned on Amazon. Where can you buy a color wheel like the one you mentioned?