Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have?? >

Do you have??

Do you have??

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

I made a huge mistake by using a compressed air duster, normally used on the keyboard of a computer. It blew all of the lint into the bottom (the workings)of the machine. A computer vacuum would be good, but not the air compressor.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM

I didn't go thru and read all the messages so if this has already been posted...I apologize. In the aisle at your home improvement store where they sell the shop vac's they have a little hose adapter. Works great!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM

My husband just walked in and said that our Dustbuster id dying. Anyone with a suggestion for a cordless mini vac other than dustbuster?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Love the attachments and bought a Tiny Tank vac from Nancy's Notions. Goes everywhere the machine goes. Can't afford to have may machine break down Pegeth
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I see there is a lot of people using the "canned air". The repairman where I purchased my machine (Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4) told me NOT to use canned air. According to him your just blowing the lint and dust further into the machine. He recommended using a vacumm with netting or something over the crevice tool (so you don't suck out the wrong thing).
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM

joyce888,
Thanks for the warning. My salesperson told me the same thing. Pegeth
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Every 2nd time I change bobbins, whether replacing and empty one or changing color, I thoroughly clean my machines. I have a littl vacum that attaches to the big vacum cleaner. I use it but not every time. I do have service and check ups on my machines, at least every two years. They tell me that my machines are some of the cleanest they see, and I don't have a lot of extra expense to keep them running great. I use soft long hair paint brushes to get down into my machine, plus the brushes that came with them.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I thought about getting one of those attachments, then I realized that my vacuum cleaner usually lives downstairs, and the sewing machine is upstairs. Even if they were close together, I don't want to haul out the vacuum every time I clean the sewing machine. (I might be expected to actually vacuum some floors while it's out.) So I found one of the little automotive vacuums and I use that. It sits on its little charger right beside the sewing machine, so it is always available, and it doesn't do floors. :)
Good idea. Think I'll look for one.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I had never heard of vacuuming a sewing machine before. Every time I put a new bobbin in I clean my machine with a brush. I guess I should be vacuuming it too?
I never have vacuumed, but do clean with brush. Think it might be easier to get the lint out from back of the bobbin (under feed dogs) with the vacuum. From sewing more years than I want to think about, I can assure you that if you use the brush regularly, your machine will be just fine
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Thank you for backing this up - I know that some say you shouldn't use compressed air, but that applies to the newer machines. My FW benefits from weekly cleanings and a good stiff 'breeze' just insures there's no lint, etc. stuck underneath.
Originally Posted by mamabear229
I use air in a can and a small paint brush to clean the lint out. I've work in sewing factories for many years and we had air hoses to blow out the machines and we had less problems when it was done daily. A drop or two of oil after cleaning, too.