Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you iron your quilt tops before..

I press each step and starch before cutting fabric and starch the top after it is together and also starch the backing. Makes the quilt go together nicely and reduces the chance of wrinkles during quilting.

Yes I do iron them. I'm an over achiver when it comes to ironing. I iron when doing the blocks, then iron it all when it's together.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesy
    Yes I do iron them. I'm an over achiver when it comes to ironing. I iron when doing the blocks, then iron it all when it's together.
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy17
    I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.
    Yes, I do this also....makes it so much easier to check for those stray threads and flatten the seams correctly which makes it so much easier to quilt your sandwich correctly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Like you, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
    I tend to if it's lap size or smaller.
    Larger are just too much trouble unless absolutely necessary.
    I should have added that all my large quilt tops are sent to a fabulous LAQ. Shes never asked that I iron before sending, stretching on her machine probably solves that.

I press to make sure the seams are all laying the correct way and flat. It makes life much easier when machine quilting and you get a nicer, finished product.

I starch and iron as I go and then iron the sections. It helps me to baste and I don't have puckers on the back.

I iron the blocks before sewing them together, but not anymore after that...unless I'm working with a high loft bat, then I iron it down to make it easier to quilt after sandwiching it. Loosely baste it before ironing, then pin it after ironing it.

I press my blocks as I go. Press seams as I attach blocks together. and press again as I attach rolls together so by the time the top is completely stitched together it is iron. So Yes, I do press before I quilt it. I find that it makes SID sooooooo much easier.

Yes, I want it to look great even befort the sandwiching. Also think it makes it easier to baste.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast