Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a 'quilt log'? >

Do you keep a 'quilt log'?

Do you keep a 'quilt log'?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:38 AM

I make a log of who I give my quilts to.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 AM

I do much the same as sandraB64. I also indicate when I started, when the top was completed and when the quilt was completed. I also note whether it was hand or machine pieced and quilted, patchwork or paper pieced or appliqued and/or embroidered. I keep this info on anything I make - like purses, totes, pillowcases, table runners, table toppers etc. I really enjoy looking through my 3 ring binder "Quilt Diary"s.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 AM

I envy those of you who are so organized. It has been my experience that as soon as a quilt is finished, it grows legs and walks right away.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM

I just photos of my quilts in a folder of the name of the recipent. Also keep a printed copy of the quilting layout under the program I used to design the layout in case I want to use any or all of the patterns again.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM

I have kept a quilt journal from the start. It comes in very handy for a number of reasons. I started it for me, but have used it for taxes as well as when someone wants me to make a quilt "Just Like That One". I'm able to show them the amount of fabric, batting, backing and notations "That One" takes (as well as what the items cost - because I try to keep my receipts for each quilt stapled onto the page also). I just use the black and white journal books for school, they are cheap easy to get and they also come in colors. Over the years I have added items to my journals as well as removed things that I felt I wanted to know at the time. 2015's version starts with a picture of the finished quilt on the back side I have a copy of the picture of the pattern my quilt was made from (because I have been known to change patterns around from what I started with). I will make my notes for the size amounts of each fabric, fabric lines, batting and trims or embellishments I have used. Then on the back side I will place my receipts for items purchased as well as if anything came out of my stash (I don't have receipts for these any more, but they will have to be replaced as some point), along with small samples of each fabric (if possible, you know how that goes when you run out). Then the last page will have what I have done with this quilt - Was it gifted - if so then to whom and why with the date. - Was it donated - if so then to what group and why that group (I have donated to different groups for different reasons). - Was it sold - if so how was it sold (on commission, bazaar, store). I will place thank you notes tax receipts or copy of sales receipts on the back of this page. This all helps with taxes and insurance. My insurance has pictures of my fabric and sewing room it helps with replacement if anything happens. As for taxes I'm able to help off set some with my donations, because I have documented all information (this helped when "The Tax Man Came Knocking" - don't want that to happen again - but the IRS feels if you take the time to be detailed you are on the up and up). So as you can see I use front and back of 3 pages in my journals for each quilt, I'm sure you can come up with your own version (that will work for you), of what you see on this board. Good luck
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM

I didn't start keeping any kind of journal until last year (about 40 years into my quilt life ). I asked a number of people to send me photos which they did so I could record why I made them and what techniques/problems I had.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM

I have keep a quilt log of every quilt or project I have ever made.. Love it I can refer back to it and I write brief bios about what inspired it and who it was gifted to. When started and when finished etc.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I have a list with the number of the quilt, what I named it, how big it is, the date that it was finished, and who I gave it to.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
No, I don't. I just have photos to remind me of the quilts I have made.
Yup, this is me too.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM

I am doing this for the first time with the current quilt I am making for my 3 year old niece. She absolutely LOVES quilting stuff. She wants to know about all my quilting tools & notions and how to use them. She wants to know where the different fabrics came from (i.e., where they were printed -- sometimes the selvedge says) and what the names of the thread colors are and so forth. So I've been taking photos as I go along & making notes ... keeping lists of the fabrics and threads that I've used and I plan to put it all together into a little book for her, complete with swatches of the fabrics and threads and descriptions for how I constructed the quilt, step by step.

I probably won't go into as much detail in the future, but I really like doing some documenting. I was inspired by seeing Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry's website (http://www.bryerpatch.com/gallery/gallery.htm) where she lists the size, techniques & materials used in each of her quilts and adds information about her design concept & if the quilt was shown anywhere or won any awards. I'm probably a ways away from winning awards, but I hope to start entering my quilts into shows and love the idea of having a record of that somewhere.