Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

Question Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

I have a quilt nearly finished, only have the borders to add. I look at the quilt laying on the floor and wonder if I should add something to make it into a rectangle shape, it would have to be added on the top and bottom and then I would add final border. I wonder has anyone done that? I have it in two colors, which I like. It is a redwork with 9 blocks, triple sashing and nine patch (background of redwork blocks-off white and red fabrics). Not sure what I could add to it to add length and yet fit in. As I say the square just does not appeal to me, but may leave it if too much work. I hope my explanation is ok.

Banned
    I sometimes, like you, wind up with a square quilt - and I leave it that way
    A good friend always makes her quilts square. She says being able to switch around 4 ways saves wear and tear on the binding.

That may very well be how this ends up, just thought 60 square is an odd size. I am doubting very much because of the redwork that this quilt will get used that much, if not it is not much good is it? Looks good though.

I too prefer a rectangle quilt over a square one, but some patterns just work better square so I leave them. Square is good for a wall hanging. You could add wider borders to the top and bottom than the ones on the side. I think if they are the same fabric, it would probably look good.

Blog Entries
    Without seeing the quilt it's a little hard to advise JMHO.
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    I may be round, but I'm not square! That being said, I feel a rectangular quilt suits my uses better than a square one, unless I had planned to use the square as a table topper or a wall hanging. I have added borders to top and bottom, sometimes a pieced section that mimics the design in the square as a way of making a square into a rectangle.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I like a rectangular quilt and don't like my quilts to be square.

Blog Entries
    My bed quilts are rectangular, but all my throws usually are square, but it depends on the pattern.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Afraid I can't help you much, I only make square quilts. Besides the fact that I prefer designing within squares, I find the shape is much more adaptable than a rectangle and looks more like art than like a bed linen.

Squares make perfect wall quilts, no matter what the size, so all mine have a handing sleeve. Squares are also perfect for both queen and king size beds, as well as couch quilts and toddler quilts. Your 60" square redwork would look beautiful as a 'topper' on a queen sized bed, providing warmth for either a cozy nap or a full night's sleep.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I do it both ways. It depends on the design and the size of the bed the quilt is intended for. I have added a neutral inner border to top & bottom and I have just added another single border line at the top. Often, I will just make the first inner border on the top & bottom wider than the sides to "float" the design.
    Beverly

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast