Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Do You Make A Sample Square ?

sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Quote Originally Posted by 2livesdown7togo
    Always - there have been times when I didn't love the way my colors went together the first time, and sometimes I'll swap around or out so I love it more. And count me as one of those who does it to work out how the seams will lie.
    And speaking of working out which way the seams will lie...I usually manage to press the seams in the best direction, but when I come to sew the blocks together, invariable there is one seam that should have been pressed in the opposite direction. This is the reason that I usually used sashing. But sometimes I would like sewing squares together to achieve a secondary block or design (or whatever it's called). Is this just trial and error or is there a system?

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I do but not for size. I do it to decide how to press seams - especially in a complicated block.
    Ohhh, this is a good reason! Will keep it in mind as I don't make a sample block. With that said, my SIL always does and her blocks do turn out nicer!

I typically make sample blocks because every once in a while, the cutting directions are wrong. Cutting out 30 2.5 inch strips can be a problem if they were supposed to be 2.25 inch strips. In addition, sometimes your color combo doesn't work as well as another color combo.

I sometimes join BOMs where you are automatically sent the kit every month. I make the first out of my stash. Once satisfied, I then make the block out of the BOM provided fabric. This way, I also get two quilts out of it (those BOMs cost a LOT of money!). One is for me and the other gifted.

When I make sample blocks, such as for a swap, I use the same pile of christmas fabric. That way, the blocks will work together into a new quilt.

If color is my issue, I put the sample block not used into an orphan block box. I periodically take blocks out of there for other projects, but if the box ever gets full, I'll just make an orphan block top.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8