Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you mix fabric types and/or weights in your quilts? >

Do you mix fabric types and/or weights in your quilts?

Do you mix fabric types and/or weights in your quilts?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Default Do you mix fabric types and/or weights in your quilts?

I prefer to not mix fabric types or fabric weights in a quilt top or backing -

The reason for that is that I think similar fabrics will wear out at more or less the same rate.

Most batiks are more tightly woven than homespuns, for example.

Most denims will also last longer than flimsy flannels.

For a decorative wall piece, whatever creates the wanted effect -

I'm talking about the quilts made for utility and/or everyday use.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM

No always try to use same weights , so they will wash and wear at the same rate.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM

I agree, I prefer to not mix fabric types or fabric weights in a quilt top or backing. My first quilt has a mixture of fabric types and weights, and some of the blocks or fabrics are wearing out. When this happens, I make a new block and insert it or applique it over the earlier block. But the fabrics used were in clothes I had when I was younger, so there are memories there.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Back many decades ago before the concept of buying fabric just to make a quilt , was not something we did in my family... scraps of all types were used. We did avoid using denium or other very heavy weight fabrics with lighter weight.
Now I don't mix weights.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:01 PM

I don't mix too much but will put batiks in with regular cottons. Homespun is also used with regular cottons.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM

I avoid mixing polyester fabric with cottons....they don't seem to work well together as far as piecing and quilting are concerned. I learned the hard way when I FMQ'ed a quilt made by a friend's mother. At first glance, it seemed alright until it came time to load it on the frame. It would not lay flat and there were wrinkles beyond control. I simply quiltied the heck out of the wrinkles to the point the folds from the wrinkles were not seen anymore! I explained to the friend who was very understanding. As for art quilts, I don't see any problems with combining different fabrics.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM

I do it all the time. I also mix washed and unwashed fabrics in the same quilt. I've never had a problem. My quilts are not works of art not are they heirloom pieces. They are meant to be used and washed and dragged around.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I've made quite a few quilts that contain a great variety of fabrics, weights, textures, types---my sister's 'crazy pieced' quilt contains cottons (quilt shop fabric-not flimsy/cheap lightweight fabric), flannels (double sided-meaty flannels) corduroys, wools, cotton velvet, batiks, homespun's, and 3 different weight denims (I think I'm missing a couple) anyway- the backing is a hand dyed double sided flannel--it is a fabulous quilt! and has held up through multiple washes, and dogs sleeping on the bed (when they don't get caught) for 6 years & counting....I tend to use what ever strikes my fancy- fits in with what I am doing at the moment- as long as everything can be laundered together- since I felt all of my wools they wash fine- all of my flannel, wool quilts are laundered in a washing machine, dried in the dryer- I do pre-wash the flannels & home spun . the velvet I was worried about but she really wanted it- it has been fine too. I've made many quilts this way- sometimes I add wool appliques to a regular cotton quilt, or fuzzy fleece to add a teddy bear...I've never been disappointed when I've mixed many different fabrics in a quilt- and all of my quilts are bed quilts- I've never really got into the 'wall-hanging' creations.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

should have added- the one I made my sister-in-law even has silks along with all the ones in my sisters- and hers is almost 15 years old- she does take a little better care of it than my sister does hers---but it's still used & laundered as needed- I've not had to do any repair work on it.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 AM

i prewash all my fabric so when i make a scrappy it is hard telling what
kind of fabric it will have. but i make them to be used.