Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you NEED a fancy embroidery machine to do this? >

do you NEED a fancy embroidery machine to do this?

do you NEED a fancy embroidery machine to do this?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default do you NEED a fancy embroidery machine to do this?

these are from Patsy THompson. IN the videos she talks about the fancy stitches, etc, on her machine. I don't have an embroidery machine, just a nice sewing machine with fancy stitches....do you think I can still do this stuff? I love the free motion stuff best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YYqB...re=uploademail
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM

The first part she only used a regular machine. I have done that type of free motion with my 401A Singer always with good results.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM

You can do the embroidery that was shown in the first of the video. When she switched from her Pfaff to her Babylock, you cannot do any of that without a computerized embroidery sewing machine.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM

I've seen some of your work and I'm sure you will be able to do all of what she does on a regular sewing machine. Thanks for the link. I may try some of this one of these years.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

You do NOT need an embroidery machine to do what she is doing. You can couch, do piping, do pintucks, use fancy stitches, FM stitching all without an embroidery machine. Thread play can be planned or not.

An embroidery machine is great if you use it. Remember the designs cost as does the stabilizer and the thread is different than quilting/sewing thread.

I know you can do it with your present machine and it will be great.

ali
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 AM

I love patsy, I say some of her othr videos and ordered one of her patterns, the pansy wall hanging, I did it all in satins, as I had alot of scraps (DGD halloween costumes), Anyway I made it and did the freemotion, first time and it turned out great, she made it sound simple and fun. Anyway I looked at this video and it is all done on a regular sewing machine with regular and fancy stitches, you will be amazed once you start that it is easy and any fear of it is gone. have fun I will have to try this next. Success to you
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the link. What she did, I can do I my machine though I have not tried any of it as of yet...hopefully in the future.

As the previous responders said the first part was for any machine. But I want to emphasize that the part she did on the Baby-loc is done with a combination embroidery/sewing machine. I am sure that the embroidery machines that load multiple threads could do it as well, but my machine does not have that capability. Every time a new thread color is needed, I must rethread the machine as she did in the video.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM

I've seen your work, and although it may not be as easy as she was showing, if your machine has tons of stitches, I'm sure that you can do the same as she did. They want you to buy the machine, in reality.