Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which do you pick first? >

Which do you pick first?

Which do you pick first?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Just wondering, do you pick the fabric first or the pattern (if you are not just working from your own stash)? :D
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM

I work best when I pick the pattern first and then the fabric. Otherwise I end up with a big stash of fabric and can't decide what to do with it. O wait...maybe that's not a problem after all. haha
Lois
Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 AM

I usually have apattern in mind, but not always, sometimes the fabric dictates the pattern.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I usually have apattern in mind, but not always, sometimes the fabric dictates the pattern.
That's how I am.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Varies, usually the fabric, then find a pattern to use it with. Sometimes I'll pick up a pattern and then see what in my stash works with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

If I see fabric I love, I must have some. It does not matter to me, what I might use it for later on.

If I am looking through patterns and see one I want to try.......this is what gets me into trouble. I always seem to need more fabric to do the job.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
If I see fabric I love, I must have some. It does not matter to me, what I might use it for later on.

If I am looking through patterns and see one I want to try.......this is what gets me into trouble. I always seem to need more fabric to do the job.
Haha, same here. I've bought ridiculous fabrics with nothing in mind to do with it and it's still lying around.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Nearly always fabric first, in fact I just recently bought my first ever'paid for pattern' (a bargello) and pulled some from my stash but ordered the rest. :-D The exception is that I love making the One Block Wonder kaleidoscope quilts and those require a certain type and amount of fabric, so I guess you could say that there, the pattern dictates the fabric. :-D

I don't think a big stash is a big problem either - it'll all get used someday - so long as I live to be about 200! :mrgreen:

And as someone on here once said, 'she who dies with the most fabric, wins!' Right?! :lol:
Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Some might find this crazy. OK. Most will find this to be crazy. But I usually pick the pattern first, then buy the fabric to go with it. I don't keep a large stash on hand. I know, bite my tongue you Blasphemer. :oops:
Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Some might find this crazy. OK. Most will find this to be crazy. But I usually pick the pattern first, then buy the fabric to go with it. I don't keep a large stash on hand. I know, bite my tongue you Blasphemer. :oops:
Not crazy at all, very sensible in fact. I am just not organised enough for that. And I always see three times as much fabric I absolutely have to have for one project, so two thirds don't get used...