Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer the look of Machine applique to that of hand applique? >

Do you prefer the look of Machine applique to that of hand applique?

Do you prefer the look of Machine applique to that of hand applique?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I love both, but I can only do one. I want someday to learn hand applique.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

I like both depending on the type of applique, some lends itself best to raw edge and really isn't suitable by hand while others like baltimore really look more tradition hand or invisible machine that has a similar appearance to hand. To me I don't really compare the 2 since the style of quilts that use them tend to be quite different
Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 PM

I like both...it depends on the piece. Some "need" hand applique....others, no so much. Also, for me sometimes time is an issue. Machine applique is fast, and easy (for me)....I think of it as equal, but different...apples and oranges.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 PM

My present project is a delft quilt. The pieces are es tuck on with bondaweb then zigzagged with invisible thread to secure down.
The technique I then like is embroidery stitches around the edges some of which act as quilting stitches going through a small quilt sandwich.
all the blocks are joined by quilt as you go method.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 PM

I think hand applique is beautiful but so is a well done machine applique. I use both depending on the pattern.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 AM

Well done needle turn applique is so beautiful to see but it is very unlikely that it will be seen in my sewing room so I just admire other peoples.
I do machine applique and really enjoy doing it with my embroidery machine. I love the variety of stitches and the chance to really play with different threads.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I like both...it depends on the piece. Some "need" hand applique....others, no so much. Also, for me sometimes time is an issue. Machine applique is fast, and easy (for me)....I think of it as equal, but different...apples and oranges.
Me too. As the fingers and hands get older they like the machine applique better!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Definitely love hand applique. The only machine applique I've seen that looks almost as nice is done with invisible thread - I don't like invisible thread and it doesn't like me.
All my applique is done with YLI invisible thread. And the stitch I use on my Viking Rose looks very close to hand stitching.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 AM

Thank you all for your input. I'm thinking its a close race with the two techniques. Tell me more!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM

I completed an intricate bed size needle turn applique quilt. It took me a year to finish the top. It is lovely, but I got very tired of it before I finished. It became a drudgery rather than something I enjoyed. I quilt for enjoyment and when I don't enjoy it, what is the point. I needle turn accents and simple borders, but am really enjoying machine appliquing. I find I can do very intricate and complex patterns that would not be possible to needle turn. I am in the process of a quilt with forty-four 12" blocks and a center panel--very intricate designs that I am machine appliquing with small blanket stitch. I feel no guilt for not needle turning and am enjoying the process and the results.