Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? >

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I prefer to sew at home, but it's not really because of the talking in a group sewing situation. At home I have everything handy, my sewing machine is at the correct height for me and recessed into a table, the cutting table is large and at the right height, the lighting is good, my chair is ergonomic, and I can either listen to a book on CD or turn it off if I need to concentrate. If I get tired of sewing I can leave it for a few minutes or a few hours and it will be just where I left it when I come back. If I go out to sew I have to lug all my things, run the risk of forgetting something, have to deal with uncomfortable chairs and cutting tables, and I don't get much done. I love chatting with other quilters, but I'd rather not sew with a group.

It depends in my world. I have health issues, so if I feel up to doing it, I do. Otherwise, it'll still be there when I get around to it.

If I am going to sew binding or "mindless" stuff, I'm okay in a group. I feel like I'm moving and my fave machine stays home (loved but heavy Juki) and my class machine and I aren't always on the same page which is annoying. I hate the chairs to table height ratio and am usually dead when I get home. If I am going to a group session where we are supposed to be taught something new, I'd almost rather take really good notes and go home to play with it on my own. It annoys me no end when someone (or several of them) invariably ask "huh?" or "what was that?" or "I didn't hear that, can you repeat it?" several times. I really don't mind if they can't hear the instructor, but when they are chit-chatting and just not paying attention, it is VERY annoying to me.

So, if it's something I already know how to do and am confident in my ability to sew it, I'm okay in a group. My best sewing and cutting I do at home. My best piecing I do at home -- better light, better machine, better set-up, better temperature control. And the fridge is close at hand if I want some ice.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM

I have a need for both situations. I like the convience of having everything at my fingertips at home, but the resources of more experienced quilters at a group sew. To be honest, I am one of those people that like to put their heads down and sew at group sewing, and get a little annoyed by people that talk the entire time so loud that the whole room can hear them, and they chatter non-stop on topics that may not interest people. I feel these people have a different purpose to attend sew days other than sewing, such as they are lonely or dominated at home by a husband and group sew time gives them some freedom to talk. I try to be understanding, and just smile and nod, but keep on sewing. Now that the "nest is empty" I get a lot more done at home . My favorite time is to go to a friend's house and sew and catch up on our lives. We try to to this a few times each summer
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 AM

I love to sew. But I am a moody sewer. Sometimes I will sew and sew, then others I will go for days without even looking towards the sewing machine. I do better by myself, since I am just learning, and I need to concentrate on what I am doing.

I am kinda funny where the cleaning comes in though. I feel guilty if I am sewing the the house is a wreck. So, to feel better about it, I clean really good right before I know I am going to start a new project. So it was at least clean when I started. So that was the old method. I switched, and now I clean at least one room in the morning, and then I sew the rest of the day. Seems to be working for me, so far anyway. Hubby is good about cleaning up the kitchen in the evening after we eat. We all know how hard it is to load the dishwasher!!! But I do not complain as that is one thing less I have to do.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 AM

I enjoy sewing with a group. I listen (and sometimes participate) in conversations but am pretty focused on what I am doing. I do mindless sewing and cutting while I'm there. I can really focus while I'm at a group sew...fewer distractions, lots of opinions/suggestions and a ready source of great fabric!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 AM

I love getting up an hour before anyone else, sneaking into the sewingroom in jammies, turning on the radio and making my machine sing. Any other time is a mixed affair. My best friend comes over most Saturdays and we really get lots done, but are limited to smaller projects since we sit on opposite sides of the table. The girls bring eats and drinks, make lunch and clear, and we just sew. Ohter than that, some processes of quilting are fairly anti-social and I need to be on my own for them. I do a lot of handwork in order to be with the family in front of the TV, especially needleturn applique and usually 'time' my work so I can join hubby for cricket or rugby. After a quilt is sandwiched, it becomes a one-on-one affair and I don't like to share my space. However, I am a pack animal and thrive in a group - if not clowning around. Once a month we meet in a larger group, but still manage to be quite productive. So, I guess it is a bit of both.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 AM

I used to sew once a week with a friend. She and I got a lot done during that time. Soon others joined us and it seemed like all of them were constantly asking for my help on something or wanting to use something of mine. Not that I minded or anything but it got to be more of a hassle than anything. When one of the member's husband got sick, we sort of disbanned. Now, my DH and I sew together. (I got him interested and he is worse than I am now.)
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I used to sew once a week with a friend. She and I got a lot done during that time. Soon others joined us and it seemed like all of them were constantly asking for my help on something or wanting to use something of mine. Not that I minded or anything but it got to be more of a hassle than anything. When one of the member's husband got sick, we sort of disbanned. Now, my DH and I sew together. (I got him interested and he is worse than I am now.)
2 people seem to give and take and respect each other's time more. More than two changes the group dynamics too much - we tried it. Once. I love the idea of teaching the DH and spending time with him in this way. Hmmmmm....now what shall we teach the man first......
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I prefer doing brain numbing sewing within a group, but intricate cutting, piecing and quilting needs to be done while I'm alone. I get distracted and make mistakes.
I agree - get most done at home!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
Hi Letty,

as you will see from my details I live very close to you, infact I used to live in Blaydon but after several moves around the country am now in Newcastle more or less on the opposite side of the Tyne to you. I go to quilting classes once a week and am about to join a quilting group that meet once a month to sew over in Shiremoor.

We don't have quite so much going on here in England for group sewing but most of the quilting shops do have quilting sessions. I see you no longer drive which will be a problem for you because most of the quilting places are "off the beaten track". pm me if you would like to have a chat.

Eileen
Hi Eileen,nice of you to make contact.My husband is always willing todrive me wherever I want to go,he is good like that.Perhaps you could let me have some details of the Shiremoor group.I live in Ryton so not sure how near that is.If I go to private messages, is that the way I can leave contact details ? Love Letty
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I feel these people have a different purpose to attend sew days other than sewing, such as they are lonely or dominated at home by a husband and group sew time gives them some freedom to talk.
Wow, this seems kind of harsh to me. Lonely? Dominated?? Perhaps these people just have a different personality and lifestyle than you, and prefer the social aspect of these get-togethers? The way I look at it, I can get a lot of sewing done at home too, but I really enjoy the company of women who are just like me - wives, mothers, and quilters.