Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you put your thimble on your pointer or middle finger when hand quilting >

Do you put your thimble on your pointer or middle finger when hand quilting

Do you put your thimble on your pointer or middle finger when hand quilting

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM

I use my middle finger and Roxannes thimble. It took me quite awhile to get used to a thimble, I started with a leather one because it felt the most like wearing nothing, but they also eventually get holes in them. After getting used to the leather one, I was then able to switch to the skin colored pastic one with the open side. Roxannes is the best so far. I too have tried alot of things to protect my underhand. Hugos amazing tape has no "sticky" it only sticks to itself. I also tried "Aunt Beckys" the little metal thing, I never could get that to work. Jinny Beyer suggests T.J. quilting spoon, I was sceptical because of "Aunt Becky" not working. I didn't want to spend more money for something that wasn't going to work. I had my DH cut the handle off an old spoon, file down the sharp edge, and it worked!!!! I have always felt like I needed to feel the needle, but I could use the spoon, and I do get tiny even stitches. To use the spoon you must have some kind of hoop on a stand, a lap or floor stand. I don't see how you could hold the spoon and hold the hoop too. Hope some of this helps.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Shaverg, I use my middle finger, and a special thimble from the Thimblelady. You can find her website if you google "thimblelady". I use her method for quilting, and if you try it you will never have problems with your under hand fingers hurting or getting callouses again. It is a very pain-free method of hand quilting, and I find it to be absolutely glorious!

Not only does my under finger not hurt anymore, my right wrist has stopped hurting from the stress and my hand quilting is much more even and small.

I can't really say enough good things about the method, it is wonderful. I even sprang for the sterling silver thimble she sells, after I tried the plastic ones to get the right size. She sends you a complete size selection so you can try them all out, and they were well worth it. I gave one to my daughter after I tried them, and now she is using the new method and loves it. I'm gonna get her a silver one for Christmas this year.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 AM

I use my middle finger on the right hand and my thumb on the left. Both thimbles are leather the right hand brown and the left black. I quilt with both hands when I am using a frame. It is much easier to work from both directions than twisting my wrists so badly. It took a little getting used to but being both a touch typyist and a piano player made it feel more natural. As for the underneath fingers I just let the skin get tough.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 AM

I use my middle finger. I can't work without a thimble. At work I am forever using those rubber fingers and they go on my middle finger too... I find myself forgetting to take the rubber finger off at the end of the work day. It fits just like a thimble to me. lol.... I guess the thimble/rubber finger has become part of my anatomy!! LOL