Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you quilt through your label or sew it on after quilting?

Blog Entries
    I used to handsew my quilt labels on after the quilting was all done. Then I saw somewhere a while ago (Simply Quilts maybe?) that if you put the label on then quilt through it there's less chance of it coming loose or being taken off by someone.
    I realize the advice was really meant for quilts that go to be judged and may be stolen. I never send mine out for judging.
    So sometimes I quilt first, sometimes I put the label on first.
    What do you do?

My bad, I have yet to place a label on a quilt. I do plan on it in the future. I think I like the idea of putting it on before quilting.

Blog Entries
    I put my my labels on last. I don't like the looks of the quilting going through the words. But I can understand why some choose to put it on first :D:D:D

I try to put a label on before I quilt it like you said. But sometimes it takes me as long as I am quilting it, to think what I want on the label!!

i've done both-depends on the quilt- really nothing to do with being a 'show quilt' or not- i've put them on before quilting for some of the kids quilts- they stay on better- longer.
    it just depends- like everything else every quilt is different- and i back it, batt it and label it--individually.
    i read some recommendations from one show that suggested that you actually write all of your information across the top(back) of the quilt so it is a permenent part of the quilt- then cover it with your hanging sleeve.
    i've seen some show requirements where if you have a label on it they want you to stitch a cover over your label- containing different information- which you would remove after the show-
    so every venue seems to be different too

i only put a label first if is a quilt that will be washed repeatedly.

if its an art quilt i put the label on last.

If it's going to be in a corner, I occasionally will catch it in the binding as it is machine stitched, and then just slipstitch the outer edges.

I haven't ever put a label on mine but I think I will stitch through it.

I put mine on after, but think it's a pain in the neck. Never thought of putting it on before quilting it. Could machine sew it on the backing and then quilt it. Sounds good to me.

Blog Entries
    I quilt through all of it except the QR code. The QR code isn't readable if it's quilted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast