Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone >

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

I would love to quilt my own, but feel like I really need a long arm. Don't have the money for that. It's really too expensive to send my quilts out every time unless they're for someone special.

Do you guys quilt your own or send out. If you quilt your own, do you do it on a domestic? I just don't think I can handle that bulk on a domestic.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

check with your local quilt shops- often machine quilting classes are offered- so you can learn to quilt your own on your domestic machine == many big-name/famouse quilters quilt their own quilts on their domestic's-
i took classes and quilted my own for the first few years until i reached the point of deciding a long-arm was an option-so now i quilt my own on that- and quilt for others- but i quilted alot of quilts on my good ole regular machine first
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM

I do both. But I don't send them out because I can't handle the bulk on my domestic machines. I send them out because I want extra fancy quilting I can't do. I have a Janome 6600 and it has a 9 inch throat. It's not on a frame and it never will be. The extra throat space makes shoving a quilt thru it quite a bit easier. I quilted a full size double Irish Chain on it and I turned it and quilted squares on the pieced squares. It wasn't all that hard to do but I did have to rest my arms and shoulders every day after quilting for 3 to 4 hours.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM

I have had a gal near me quilt my last 3 quilts. She has a long arm. I need to take some classes on FM quilting, so I can attempt this myself.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM

I hand quilt all my quilts, takes a long time, but I love the peaceful handwork. Eventually, I will learn to FMQ on my Kenmore... I would love to learn to machine quilt my own, but don't want to give up handquilting. Another option for domestic quilting is to make your quilt in strips, quilt the strips, then put them together... you can watch videos on lapquilting... to see how to put it together after having the stirps quilted... I am machine quilting one like that, but not enjoying machine quilting, so is a UFO right now. There are lots of options out there...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 PM

I do all my own myself with hand quilting. I have four boards and clamps and put it up in a room in the basement which is just for that. Nothing else in the room so I can accomodate a large king size quilt.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
I would love to quilt my own, but feel like I really need a long arm. Don't have the money for that. It's really too expensive to send my quilts out every time unless they're for someone special.

Do you guys quilt your own or send out. If you quilt your own, do you do it on a domestic? I just don't think I can handle that bulk on a domestic.
I always quilt my own on my Janome 6600. Before I got that machine, I quilted on an old (1970s) Montgomery Ward machine. I've done up to queen sized with no problem.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 PM

I do all of mine on my Janome 6600 but I have never made anything bigger then a twin size and have not had any issues.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM

The only one I've sent out to be LAQ was king sized (no way was I going to do that with my machine). I can't afford it to send mine out. I make mostly lap/crib quilts for that reason. I quilted a twin quilt, but really had to wrestle it through the machine. I'm just learning to FMQ. I mostly just SID & outline quilt.

My DD recently got a mid-arm on a frame and is still learning. She has one of mine that was partially quilted. She's adding some FMQ to it, partly as practice on the frame& because she's ssuch a good daughter & partly to help me out. I think she just wanted mine to practice on. Not that I mind, whatever she does will be better than what I'm can do.

Last edited by gramajo; 01-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM

I quilt my own on my Janome 6600P.It takes a lot of practice, and it is not as good as the professionals,but is all done by ME.It is also way cheaper,as it is very expensive here in Australia to have it done by a provessional.