Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you remember where you purchased it? >

Do you remember where you purchased it?

Do you remember where you purchased it?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

i keep every receipt for every item i purchase quilting related. so i know exactly what i put into a quilt- it also helps alot when i want to compare prices, or re-order.
if i need to replace a tool i can look back and see where the last one came from and how much i paid, then i know if i'm getting a deal or where to look :-D
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Great idea :D:D:D
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

I have made labels to put on the fabric I buy. It tells me (when I write it on the line) When I bought it, how much I bought, how much it cost, what project it was bought for (if any), and if I can get more of it. (sometimes if bought at WM you can't get more). I also put on there what type fabric it is, and the color or print so I can make sure the correct label stays with the fabric. When I use some of it I adjust the amount of fabric in the bundle/fold.

----- I don't always stay up to date on the labels, but I try. It helps to know how much fabric is in the piece without unfolding it all the time to check if I have enough.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 AM

The worst is when I am going through my stash and I find a scrap of fabric that I know I used and for the life of me cannot remember what quilt it went into..Then later I am under a quilt and notice the backing...Oh, there it is!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the input and additional ideas.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM

I also will write it on the selvedge. Has saved me more than once! :thumbup:
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
As long as you have notes on the manufacturer and the line name and/or pattern number (all available on the selvage), where you bought it doesn't really matter if/when you need to look for more...at least it never has for me, and I go looking for old favorites quite often.
This works if the fabric is considerate enough to have some ID on it - and one remembers to leave the printed selvage on the fabric.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM

you would also have to be concerned about dye lots....
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
As long as you have notes on the manufacturer and the line name and/or pattern number (all available on the selvage), where you bought it doesn't really matter if/when you need to look for more...at least it never has for me, and I go looking for old favorites quite often.
This works if the fabric is considerate enough to have some ID on it - and one remembers to leave the printed selvage on the fabric.
Not necessarily. I note the information from the bolt end at the shop if I don't plan to buy more than half a yard (seldom happens :oops: ) and always for batiks that have no selvage info...also from online sellers at the time of purchase. When I get the fabric home, I cut a 2" square and keep it with the maker, line, color and pattern info on an index card. When/if source and price become important, I can easily add that info to the card.

And on the dye lots...it would only matter if you plan to put old and new into the same project, and not always even then.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Not necessarily. I note the information from the bolt end at the shop if I don't plan to buy more than half a yard (seldom happens :oops: ) and always for batiks that have no selvage info...also from online sellers at the time of purchase. When I get the fabric home, I cut a 2" square and keep it with the maker, line, color and pattern info on an index card. When/if source and price become important, I can easily add that info to the card.

And on the dye lots...it would only matter if you plan to put old and new into the same project, and not always even then.
Wow - you are organized!