Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew with friends? >

Do you sew with friends?

Do you sew with friends?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Default Do you sew with friends?

Do any of you sew/piece with friends at their homes? I love to sew in my "playhouse" and have everything set up to spend hours and hours of time in there. I think I was in there 5 hours yesterday (even got take-out pizza and ate in there)!!!

My friend wants to get together to sew (maybe once/month or twice/month) and rotate houses. I am wondering if any of you do this and if you have any suggestions or thoughts to consider. I have only sewn with others at a class I took once......I ended up not really getting any of my part done because I was helping my other friends and I kind of just "gave up" doing mine because I knew I wasn't able to focus.

I really enjoy the whole process....and I try to do my best all the time...so if I make a mistake, I take out, etc. But, I also need to concentrate.........so, do I take something that doesn't require alot of thought (like string quilting, etc.)?

I believe the purpose is to help her start working on projects and getting stuff done....in addition to some "friend time".

Please let me know if you've done this, how you do it (one presses, one sews, etc.) and any other suggestions you'd offer to help me make this a successful outing for me and my friend.

Thanks! Nora
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I am one that prefers to do what I think is called "parrallel play"

I am willing to share the ironing board and iron - maybe the cutting mat -

I prefer to do my own cutting, sewing, and pressing. And for the other person to do her own.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM

I do quilt with friends but it depends on who I'm quilting with whether I get much done or not. It sounds like you are a little like me. It's a compliment that people think you know what you are doing, do it very well, and love to share your skills with them. But, sometimes you just want to spend time alone, especially when the quilt you're working on requires a lot of concentration. When I quilt with one friend, I just know that I'm going to spend a lot of time helping her, showing her things, and having little time for my own work. She needs that to keep her working on a project and I hate to see anyone set something down out of frustration. Then there's another friend that just loves to get together and sew while we 'catch up' on each other's lives. I can take things I'm working on and we can share and work just fine.

So, my suggestion is to stop and decide what kind of friend you have. Are you needed to teach and encourage? Or will you be able to visit and sew at the same time? Then, decide if you are willing to set aside time for that sewing session. Keep your eyes open. Your knowledge about this person will help you decide what you want/need to do.

And, good luck. I'd say if nothing else, you've received a huge compliment. Welcome those. We can never get enough.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 AM

To me it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Even if the "purpose" is getting her started/getting stuff done. You would be a good influence and able to show the importance of doing your best, and she would know even experienced sewers still make mistakes. Unlike the class you took, it will only be the two of you so there won't be as much of a distraction. It sounds like she's looking for encouragement and companionship, even a mentor.

As to how it would work, why not try once a month and see how it goes. Rather than taking intensive projects have something a little easier (at least in the beginning) that doesn't require as much focus. As to who does what...will it be individual projects or group projects? If it's individual you would each need your own sewing machine.

In my opinion, (I guess that's what all of this is) it would be worth it to try a couple of months and see how it goes. Be positive and upbeat and it should go well for both of you! Good luck!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I do sew with friends occasionally but not in my house. If I had people over, I would have to....gasp....clean the house and sewing room! Then if you spend a few hours you have to have snacks and refreshments....nope.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 AM

Our group of 8 started quilting at one ladies loft back in 1996. We all worked on the same sampler quilt pattern but worked entirely on our own projects. Our group has now evolved into a hand stitching group where we meet at each other's homes every 2nd week, and we're almost 20 years together now. I love stitching with others and have no problem stopping my work to help them with theirs, but that is because my work doesn't have a deadline on it. If I had a project that required my full concentration I would save that for alone time... when I am trying to figure out directions I even turn off the radio
Old 09-17-2015, 10:11 AM

I used to sew with a friend, at her house. We got together every Sunday, starting around 1 PM and would sew and chat till her husband called us up for dinner, and then got back down and sew again till about 8 pm. But we sewed in her basement, which was finished, but then she started getting water in the basement and after a while it started smelling kind of musty and (she will be the first to tell you this) during the winter it was so cold and she wouldn't turn on the heat downstairs. She has electric heat and can turn on or off heat in each room. I could take it for a while, but then it got to the point that I could not stand being cold and I told her this. Eventually the mustiness got to me and I told her I had to stop coming over. We couldn't do it in my house because my space won't allow for 2 sewing machines, along with the ironing space and cutting table and shelving. But while it lasted it was fun. I wholeheartedly recommend it to others
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

My BFF and I get together once in a while to sew together. Usually at her house because it's bigger and cleaner than mine. I keep a small kit of my supplies (pins, thread snips, cutter and mat, etc.) at her house. Sometimes we get a lot done and sometimes we don't, I think it depends on how long it's been since the last time we saw each other. Sometimes we work on our own projects and sometimes we work on the same thing, there again it depends. We show each other things we've learned, or things we've finished or started, or just see if the other has a different way of doing something. Our last project together was each of us making a color wheel. It's always fun even if we don't get much accomplished.

Cari
Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like fun but I like the solitude of quilting without any interruptions.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do sew with friends occasionally but not in my house. If I had people over, I would have to....gasp....clean the house and sewing room! Then if you spend a few hours you have to have snacks and refreshments....nope.
My sentiments as well!