Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you spray baste? >

do you spray baste?

do you spray baste?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Default do you spray baste?

I've been reading some about spray basting and it looks so easy compared to any other method. But I guess the stuff is smelly and bad for people and the environment - so do you use it or not? I'm thinking that just a little puff could make my life a lot easier!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM

I do not use it because of asthma. But I several of my friends do and like it .
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM

my last three quilts I have used Elmers School White Glue.....IT IS FANTASTIC....
Cheap as heck....no spray fumes, no worry about over spray...and it holds every thing FLAT as a board...
NO WRINKLES at all....only way to go in my book.................
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I spray baste. Only use 505 now, having found it to be the best of the ones I've tried. 505 does not have that horrible, pervasive odor that some have; however, that doesn't mean it is safe to breathe! I use it only in a large, well-ventilated room (community space) or outside in the driveway. A couple of sawhorses and a large piece of plywood can work in a garage or outside. Some people use a garage wall, but I found it more difficult to work on a wall.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM

I've spray basted and like the results, but not the mess of overspray or the cost. On my next quilt I want to try Elmers glue or maybe try glue sticks (dries faster).
Old 10-15-2012, 04:57 PM

I like it. I've had no problems with clean up of the overspray. It seems to wash away easily with a damp rag.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM

It is so much easier. I only use a very light spray, and don't have any problem with the smell (I use 505) and I don't have a problem with it getting on the floor. I use my dining room table. Everything stays flat--no wrinkles.
Sue
Old 10-15-2012, 04:59 PM

I don't spray baste. I use Sharon Shambler method and thread baste. No more crawling on the floor for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM

505 spray does not make me feel sick...that is the only one I like to use. I have tried quite a few...love 505 spray. you can it it now for 50 percent off using joannes coupon. I bought the large can, You can not get free shipping with 505 spray.its 5.00 for shipping but still a bargan.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM

I've used spray twice and liked it once

The time I liked it - it was a small wall hanging and I was able to accomplish it by laying it on my front stoop.

The time I didn't like it, it was a twin size quilt. I didn't have a place to hang it, so I laid plastic sheeting on the floor of my husbands shop. It was very hard - even with two people - to get everything layered partly because our feet were sticking to the plastic sheet where we had overspray. It was horrible!!! On top of that, the spray DRIFTS!! And it can drift FAR!!! I was a good 12 feet away from my husbands "stuff" but we still found it to be tacky.

So I might use it again if it's a small project and I can take it outside on a wind less day ... but I will NEVER use it inside again - regardless of how much space I have. It was an experience I don't ever want to repeat. I doubt I would even do it if I had a place to hang the quilt.

I DID however really like the way it holds the layers together. It did the job.