Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class >

Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class

Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM

I took a class once at NQA by a nationally known lady I wont mention her name. But I was so very disappointed. Every other word was the name of the sewing machine company that hired her to be their star. I was not happy as it was so hard to get the information on the technique . All that was being covered it how great this machine was. I didn't pay for a commercial. On the response sheet on rating the class I did bring this up. She never came back that I know of. But the other ladies where so mad some walked out. Not me, I paid for this class.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM

Interesting - seems most are like me that don't enjoy all the talking and people thinking they are helping in a class. I have attended a few and finally decided it wasn't for me. The teachers seem to think if they stop this then the people won't come back for another class - but look at the ones they lose.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 AM

Love to take classes and love to be with my quilting friends. I try to concentrate and do as much as I can but I know I can review everything at home. I don't need to be a speed racer in class. So I relax have fun socialize see what everyone else is doing. I like to be "present" when I'm taking a class. Our tables had a great time at the bonnie hunter workshop. One guild friend had so much fun she gifted all of us with bags of Kaffe Fassett fabric!! Awesome!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
you might mention this to the instructor before class begins. that way he or she can keep an eye out for anyone that might seem to be bothering you.
Love, love, love this suggestion. As an instructor in a computer lab class, I see the problem frequently. Normally, the asking student is asking another student because 1) the instructor is busy with a student that may be way behind the class OR 2) the student feels you are very experienced and a good source of knowledge OR 3) the asking student may simply want to get to know you better.