Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time? >

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Do you take a hiatus from sewing at holiday time?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 AM

I am single and the closest family is 550 miles away... so for me Holidays are not busy at all, and everyone else is busy so less phone calls etc... I look forward to this respite from the world and submerge myself in my quilting.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:06 AM

I am stressed getting al sewing done for gifts. After that is done, I like to sew on small projects that have not deadline to them.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 AM

I probably sew MORE in the 2-3 months leading up to the holidays because I like to give handmade gifts and that becomes "crunch time". I traditionally take the week before Christmas off of work, just so I'll have time to finish up my projects. I make no vacation plans that week, it's a "working vacation". I stay home, I sew, I cook, I decorate...I relax. It's wonderful.

I love that week, I'm looking forward to it this year again. It's usually rainy and cold outside, so I can sit indoors all warm and cozy with quilt pieces on my lap, listening to the rain and the hum of my machine... Lunch will be homemade soup sipped from a mug while I sit on the porch wrapped up in a quilt with a little dog curled up on my lap... Oh I can't wait!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I did a couple of years ago. All the wrapping paper ended up on my sewing table. This year, I am helping my sister stock her little craft store, so I am making placemats and small wall hangings.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:59 AM

I sew everyday that I can doesn't matter what else is going on. I definitely do it for therapy as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Reason I asked...I had to rid up my sewing area so had to put projects aside for now. Only one, a t shirt quilt to finish before Thanksgiving; it is all pieced, just need to apply backing and either tie or machine quilt.. The children are visiting tomorrow to celebrate my 80th birthday, so I am cleaning house. Living alone, I tend to not do the deep cleaning... like shampoo carpets as often as when I was younger. On the plus side, getting it all done will give me new incentive to begin again finishing some UFOs....which are many! Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM

I sew when I can. It depends on my "house guest" situation. I am a widow and live alone but my son and family are just down the street so if there is time I sew and in the evenings I do a lot of embroidery work or applique. We have family from other states so if they are here...we are visiting, playing games, etc...no time to sew.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

This year not so much sewing going on except hand work. I also am in the middle of going though my sewing room and clearing out the orphans and extras to donate to my favorite thrift shop. They support the local food bank and it needs lots of things to sell.

I am cooking both holidays for my family, so cleaning and cooking are first then any time left over is in the sewing room. I have to set my priorities.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Never have allowed any holidays to turn into drama central I know me...and it wouldn't be pretty.
and since 2011 I clear the decks for bonnie hunters mystery. Clean quilt room, new project, sheer bliss.

Our differences are what make it a pleasure to be here, or be associated with quilters. viva la difference.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Yep, I keep on doing it as often as I can. Sewing is my enjoyment and therapy. I'm always working on something.