Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers?

I was making a Christmas Tree Skirt and the instructions suggested using felt as this gave a lovely feel to the finished item. As felt on the roll is prohibitively expensive here, I bought some white fleece.

It is an absolute joy to use and the skirt did not need to be quilted at all as a result. i would certainly use this for table runners in future and probably would not use any backing fabric either.

Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
    Gale
    I love your table runner.

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I always did but recently found a few patterns that don't. Store bought ones don't have batting so I'm thinking I could skip that step. What do you do? May in Jersey
    Thanks gals for the input. I don't have any flannel or thin poly batting handy so I'll use a double thickness of the backing fabric for the topper that needs to be mailed this weekend. Have 2 more toppers in the works so I'll see if I can get some white/light flannel and/or thin batting at Joann's later today. May in Jersey

I use warm and natural but preshrink it for use in table runners. I have used poly felt , and fussible fleece. The fusible fleece just got too pricey. The poly felt works great but I do not always have it on hand.

Blog Entries
    I usually use the bamboo batting. It is expensive but works up nicely. Had not considered fleece. Cheaper than bamboo batt so will try it with my next tablerunner. I use batting for some body in the runner. Makes it look nicer.

I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes

Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    I've just made one...I used insulbrite so it gives a bit of protection (I hope) for the table if it's used for hot dishes
    Nice idea.

I like to use thin fleece (on the bolt in the batting area) and flannel.. however flannel always seems more expensive than the thin fleece.
    I have also used the thick muslin for batting as well.

Having said that, I'm not fond of high loft quilts at all so I try to go as thin as I can.
    I don't go without as you can see through them if you don't and I don't like to see the backing on the front - especially for table runners and place mats as I try to make them double sided for double duty ;)

My friends and I use Thermore, it so soft and hand quilts like butter!

The last tablerunners that I made, I put a poly batting in them, it was too thick for my liking but all that I had on hand at the moment. I have plenty of flannel on hand and will make sure to use that next time. I like just a little weight to the runners.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast