Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use batting in your table runners/toppers?

I always did but recently found a few patterns that don't. Store bought ones don't have batting so I'm thinking I could skip that step. What do you do? May in Jersey

if i don't use a thin batt in my table toppers i use an extra layer of fabric (usually white flannel) in them. i made a table cloth without anything in the center one time...and just really feel like they need a little more body than that so i put something inside. it depends on how much piecing is in the top though. i've found if it is a project with LOTS of blocks/seams/little pieces i use either a batt or flannel...it helps to make those seams not show through on the back but if it has large plain squares...not many seams then it's not so necessary. i did make my mom a runner i used warm & natural in and she was unhappy when she washed it...it was too much batting...puffed up like we love in quilts. a thin poly works better.

I have found that i like using white fleece better than batting. It doesn't bunch or shift.

After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
    Gale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The last one I sewed up I used white flannel, it gives the piece some substance and yet it does not feel as heavy as a quilt. I like it, too.

I use the fleece that comes on a bolt. I use it for mini quilts and doll quilts too.

I use flannel and like the way it has a little something for body. The warm and natural was too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grma33
    After buying a runner kit at Novi and inside was iron interfacing I now use this and love it.
    Gale
    Great idea, I'm going to start using that instead of my warm and natual.

Blog Entries
    I use warm and natural/white and love the feel of it.

I use the fleece from a bolt as well. I use my 40% off Joanns and buy several yards (cheap). Washes well, easy to quilt, lays flat but with some body.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast