Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts? >

Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 AM

Default Do you use hand embroidered blocks in your quilts?

I love to relax and hand embroider-mostly redwork type patterns. But I don’t know how to incorporate them into quilting projects. I have used a few to make pillow covers. When I search pinterest, etc, I see alot of embroidery mounted in hoops. But I am hoping to be a little more adventurous. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 AM

Check out Bird Brain Designs. Robin Kinglsy designs projects and fabric for her redwork and Bluework projects. Hand and Machine embroidery too! Just google for her website.

sandy
Old 11-21-2017, 05:38 AM

Yes, I have. I've finished one quilt and have one more to quilt. The first one was a freebie from sentimental stitches. Just piece together the blocks as you would any other quilt. The other is a stamped design which I have done all the embroidery and put together, just waiting to be quilted. Love to do hand embroidery.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM

I love to put in embroidered blocks into quilts. I simply look at two block quilts or quilts with open background fabric. I'll substitute an embroidery block for a regular block. I have even added embroidery to a top already made. I don't get into fancy quilting so the embroidery is great to fill open spaces.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 AM

I have not, but my grandmother did! My childhood quilt was made of pink and white checkerboard squares, with a kitten face hand-embroidered in each of the white squares. It held up very well, considering that quilt was a cape, a tipi, a fort, and everything else I could think of!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 AM

We are thinking along the same lines! Of course, you have experience with Redwork, and I am just beginning. As for quilting with embroidery, my very first quilt was made as follows: alternating 9-patch blocks made of color-coordinated small floral calico prints and muslin; the alternating solid squares were matching muslin on which I hand-embroidered different flowers - a rose, a lilac, etc. It was my first quilt, made in the 1970s, and the last quilt I made until three years ago (life got busy with a career and children!). It was a quite lovely quilt, and I hope to duplicate it, but my embroidery will have to be done on machine, as arthritis prohibits handwork these days. SO, this is one pattern you could try that incorporates embroidery. HOWEVER, I went to Google and clicked on IMAGES then typed in "edwork Embroidery Quilts"and all kinds of beautiful quilts popped up: I really like the Irish chain quilt with embroidery in the alternating blocks (similar to the one I made in the 70s) that appears, but I also really like the ones where the blocks were separated by sashing. I just bought an embroidery machine, and in my search for designs to import, I came across "Redwork" -which I knew nothing about- and it just calls to me, so I think my first Redwork project is going to be to make a Redwork embroidery throw quilt. I can't wait to try it! So, just Google "Google Images", type in "Redwork Embroidery Quilts,"and you will get several ideas. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

​Crabapple Hill Redwork patterns are put together with pieced blocks. Take a look at their site for some ideas.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 AM

I also like to do hand embroidery, here is a wall hanging I am working on finishing. Not the greatest picture, but the other blocks have flowers in yellow. And here is a link to a BOM that I really want to do, it is so pretty. http://needleknowledge.com/free-patt...work-bom-quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584159[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3952-copy.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Thanks all! I wasn’t googling the “correct” words! Your ideas all sound great, too. I have been working on Snowmen A-Zzzz for a few years- have a few more blocks to go. I have had lots of eye surgeries, and I can finally see well enough to resume some handwork. Betterstitch fast while I can still see what I am doing!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I also like to do hand embroidery, here is a wall hanging I am working on finishing. Not the greatest picture, but the other blocks have flowers in yellow. And here is a link to a BOM that I really want to do, it is so pretty. http://needleknowledge.com/free-patt...work-bom-quilt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584159[/ATTACH]
Your quilt is adorable! And the BOM is very pretty......hmmmmmm.....