Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you use the same sewing machine to sew your quilt?

Blog Entries
    I woke up and was wondering about this do you use the same sewing machine to piece and sew you quilt?

The reason I was asking when I am home I use my Janome sewing/embroidery machine to heavy to take to a class or workshop.

But when I go to workshops take my Phaff! Will this make a difference on your blocks?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Craftybear

You should always try to piece each quilt with the same machine. Each 1/4 is a little different, you might not see the difference in one block, but when you get to multiple seams, or sewing them together they are different. Been there, done that.

It should not, but not all machines measure the 1/4 inch exactly the same. It may vary a little between machines. I tend to finish the quilt with the same machine I started it.

I use the same machine from start to finish when I'm piecing.

I don't take my Janome out, so do a separate project when I go out with my Kenmore. I have always heard not to use different machines for one project.

My friend has advised that the 1/4 inch be marked based on a ruler. It has proven to be very good advise. I use several layers cut from a roll of painter's blue tape (easy release)to mark the 1/4 in the same manner on any machine. Position the needle on the scant 1/4 spot on a ruler which now has a little hole after doing it so many times. Then with the ruler in place and square to the machine the tape piece is layed along side the ruler to make a ridge and seam guide that measures exactly the same every time. Since I often have several quilts in process and also use two machines depending on whether I am sewing in our camper, at home, or at LQS. All the blocksfor each quilt fit when I am finished because the seam is always the same "scant" 1/4in.

I've heard that but like so many other things I've heard I didn't pay much attention. I figure I'm going to square up the blocks anyway so . . . . If you're a new quilter then yes, use the same machine all the way through. If not, then make up your own mind knowing that you might have to do a little adjusting here and there.

Yes, I do everything on my Bernina 630. I piece and quilt on it. It is rather heavy to take to a class or "UFO" at church but I can usually get someone to help me with it as I have bad shoulders. I may have to breakdown and buy myself a lightweight machine someday for that purpose.

I use the same machine, a Janome. I do have a Kenmore that needs some repair that I like for FMQ, only because the feeddogs are so worn off that it doesn't matter if they are up or down. It was a gift from my kids in 2000 and I've about used it to destruction. That's LOVE of QUILTING!!