Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use a stiletto?

Blog Entries
    On my last trip to USA a very kind lady gave me a porcupine quill, it is great I would hate to be with out it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    I use my Great Grandmothers 8 inch Hat pin! Works great and is always sharp!
    EIGHT INCH!!!! OMG! That was a first-class weapon. Gale force winds would keep that in place! Awesome!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I didn't, but with a quilting table I have to. I purchased a new machine which has a small extended table. On my other machine I could get my hands in there with clearance, but that's not the case with the new machine. (I'm right handed so why does a left side table limit, I do not know.)
    I saw a link on how to make them. I made a few using beads and turkey lacers. I actual glued 2 lacers together, stuck some beads on so I could grip the lacers better and it works like a charm. I don't feel like I'm crawling into machine anymore.

I love my stiletto - once you get used to using one it is like an extension of your hand and you don't know what you did without one. Very useful when doing curved piecing - you can coax those edges together as you sew and you don't have to use many pins.

I use a stilleto, or the seam ripper, or a cuticle stick, or.... I find I prefer a really pointy thing rather than something with a rounded point since if I need the stilleto I need something that really holds. I like something narrow that can get almost all the way to the needle -- and I sew the last stitches really slow. I also find that using a scrap of farbric at the end of the point and sewing onto the fabric scrap keeps me from having wobbly points (and I can angle the scrap to fit snugly against the triangle).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use my stilleto a lot, but other things have come in handy for me such as the purple thang, bamboo stick, etc. It is far better than having a needle go through my finger, nail and all. That happened when I was a teenager...one of the best learned lessons, smile.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I use mine all the time!
    That goes for me too. I have "that purple thang" + one from Eleanor Burns. I have more than 1 machine so I keep
    one at each machine. Comes in handy for so many things.
    Dance like no one is watching

I use my seam ripper most of the time. I also have a pair of tweezers that I keep handy and they work, too.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I use a small flathead screw driver, it does a great job of holding the seam flat as it goes under the foot. It is easy to access in front tool chest on my machine.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by nanny quilts View Post
    I use a chop stick that i put into a pencil sharpener and brought it to a point, its long enough that you dont have to fight and you can put pressure on it without it breaking
    I have several wooden "sticks" that have been sharpened in a pencil sharpener. An ordinary wooden dowel works also. I have them in different lengths and different thicknesses. Also, if you use the pencil sharpener, you can sharpen BOTH ENDS. That is very helpful.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast