Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: do you use a walking foot to machine quilt?

Blog Entries
    I own a Bernina 185 and a Singer 7470. The Bernina is so fussy about quilting that I have given up and am now using my Singer which cost about 1/10 of what the Bernina cost and works much better. I have heard that a walking foot would be better to quilt with. I'm kind of new to machine quilting and would like some help from people who know what they're talking about.

Blog Entries
    A walking foot is great for straight lines and gentle curves, but it can't do FMQ, if that is what you are asking. :D:D:D

The walking foot has teeth underneath it, so that the fabric is fed under the presser foot more evenly :wink:

Blog Entries
    what is FMQ?

free motion quilting. You use a quilting (or darning) foot and lower your feed dogs, so you are moving the quilt under the needle- your motion controls the design.

A walking foot is ideal for quilting in straight lines, or stitch in the ditch (you will see that as SID)It keeps both the top and bottom layers moving equally, so there is no distortion or pulling.

Free motion quilting

Blog Entries
    Free Motion Quilting.

I use a walking foot for quilting most any design with gentle curves. You have to go very slow almost a stitch at a time for the intricate designs. I started doing more with the walking foot after reading this book: One Line at a Time: 24 Geometric Machine-Quilting Designs Made Easy by
    Charlotte Warr Andersen

A walking foot keeps the back of your quilt from puckering. I forgot to use it on one quilt intil I was about half way through. I won't make that mistake again!

Blog Entries
    A walking foot is worth every penny! I also use mine when making purses/totes. It makes a big difference in the quality of the finished item. :)

How long have you had your Bernina?? My dealer offered free classes on how to use the machine. That was 5 1/2-6 years ago. Contact your dealer and ask about classes to learn more about your machine.

I always use a walking foot. It makes it a lot easier.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast