Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From? >

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Do You Want To See Where Quilts Really Come From?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Yep, that's what it looks like around here.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Looks like Tipton, TN to me:) Lived there for 10years..
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM

I use to live in Huntsville, Al where cotton is king there.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Yes the fields are about ready around here to.

I remember back in the 90's a friend's husband use to grow cotton and after harvest she'd take all us crafters in the field to get what was left behind. We use to nuke it in a microwave in case there were bugs, clean it and use it in our crafts.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM

As a child of the 30's I have picked cotton. My mom said she hoped they would lose the seeds. LOL
Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 AM

I have seen fields of cotton when traveling south but never have seen bales of cotton like that. Here in Ohio bales like that are bales of hay.
I remember when I was young my DGrandmother & I planted cotton seed in her flower bed along the porch. When the cotton came on I was so excited. I did a book report for school got an A.
Thanks for sharing pictures.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:28 AM

We raised our kids in "cotton country" in California. One of my best memories was taking our kids to a friend's cotton farm and letting them jump in the cotton that was in the big huge trucks that transport the cotton to the gin. They had a great time......
Old 10-22-2011, 10:33 AM

Aren't those cotton fields beautiful! I just went past some of them on the way home from a short trip to Ohio. I used to buy off the plant then card and spin it on my spinning wheel. Sometimes I would knit it and sometimes I would weave it. Now I love to buy the cotton already processed and ready to quilt :lol:
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Brought back memories! The last cotton I picked was when I was 11 years old. The sacks were made of heavy fabric (like duck)and had a strap across the shoulder and you pulled them along as you picked. The bottoms were coated with tar to keep them from wearing out. The commercial sacks were too large for me, so my mother made me one. When stuffed, it weighed 33 pounds. The most I ever picked in one day as 200 pounds. That would have been in 1954. I would earn about $30 a week and bought my own school clothes. That was a great accomplishment for a kid. Now the cotton is picked by machinery.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:37 AM

When I was a child, we were very poor and my Mom picked cotton and I rode on the cotton sack (I was about 2 maybe).
Later in life when I was in High School and the poor days were over, my Dad farmed cotton and sugar beets and apricots. He wanted to show me how hard it was to make money so he got me up one Saturday AM and drove me to the cotton field, gave me a cotton sack and said "Go to it". I never worked so hard in my life. The cotton bowls are sharp when the cotton is ready to pick and by the end of the day my fingers were all cut and oh so sore. My back felt like it was broken from bending over. Lesson well learned. I certainly appreicated how hard my folks had to work to get where they were.