Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do you wash baby panel..

do you wash baby panel..

I'm make 15 baby quilts for the pregnancy center for single mothers, I wanted to do some easy and fast ones. I have a lot of baby panels so thought I would use them, all I'm going to do is add a 3.5" boarder, this way a 11/2 yd of fabric will fit the back and just bind them and done.

My question is do I wash the panels first or wash them after I have quilted them.

the fabric that I would use for the boarders and backing has been washed as this is coming out of my stash....I have already sewed boarders on 8 of the panels, what do you think I should do wash them after I have the quilts all done or take the boarders off that I have on...

I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything about washing a panel

Blog Entries
    My motto is wash none of the fabric or all of the fabric. I don't mix pre washed and non washed fabrics because the panel may shrink and throw off your borders.
    Bernie

I have been told if you wash one fabric you wash it all. I would prewash by hand in hot water. I have washed panels before and they came out fine. But I wouldn't take the borders off. You could wash one and see if there is a shrinkage problem. If the panel shrinks and puckers the border then you can decide on all the others.

I'm inclined to pre-wash everything. Having said that, you have already put effort into 8, so if I were you I would take one and use it as a test. Sandwich, quilt, bind and then wash....if it works out....you have your answer. 15 is a lot of little quilts, so try and make it as stress free as possible. Don't forget to show us when you are done....you know how we love pics. I think it's a really nice thing you are doing....it's tough being a Mum, being a single Mum is even tougher.

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    My motto is wash none of the fabric or all of the fabric. I don't mix pre washed and non washed fabrics because the panel may shrink and throw off your borders.
    I agree. with this.

i'm one of those who have mixed washed/pre-washed fabrics in lots of projects-without problems- i seldom pre=wash panals- i generally pre-wash yardage-i've made lots of panal quilts- there has never been any adverse results when it's all done- & i ALWAYS wash my finished quilts before they go anywhere-especially donation quilts. i say- continue on- but if you are worried- finish the quilting/binding on one & wash it- see what happens- i throw mine in the washer- regular detergent- regular cycle- then i toss it in the dryer- then i take them out & admire them...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Banned
    I normally wait til after it's completed. I just like how it wrinkles up after hand quilting. Before or after, just make sure you do with a baby blanket. There are all sorts of chemicals on the fabric.

I rarely, if ever, prewash. By the time a panel is sewn, quilted and bound, I've never had any shrinkage problems. And, I've been doing it this way for 20+ years.
    Laurie in NYC

Blog Entries
    I am from the "anything is okay" school of prewashing. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes I mix the 2. The only thing I always prewash is fabric predominately red, black, navy or orange. But I do it in the bathroom sink for small pieces. In hot water, if the water turns color. I do it again with retayne, and let it soak for a day after the retayne. If it is still giving off color, I dry it and put it in a bin with other culprits. when I get more fabric (enough to do a load), it all goes into the washer with color catchers. Then I feel safer to use it. I don't always wash after the quilt is done. Also part of my "anything is okay". Most mothers of babies prewash anything that is given to them - in their detergent of choice. So not prewashing a baby quilt (for me) is okay.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I agree with above poster....don't take off the borders, wash in the sink, watch for bleeders, treat accordingly....and I always wash when done to get rid of any chemicals or dirt/oils from my hands during construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast