Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you worry about fireproof fabrics >

Do you worry about fireproof fabrics

Do you worry about fireproof fabrics

Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Do you worry about fireproof fabrics

I am starting some charity quilts and wondered if there was a need to worry about the fire retardent qualities of the fabric used. Can you buy something to wash or spray the fabric to make it fire retarding?
Lynda
Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 AM

I think you should ask the charity. Project Linus says: It is Project Linus’ policy to accept blankets of all sizes, depending on local chapter needs. All blanket styles are welcome, including quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crocheted or knitted afghans, and receiving blankets in child-friendly colors. Always remember that blankets must be homemade, washable, free of pins, and come from smoke-free environments due to allergy reasons.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Again, check with the charity as to their requirements. Particularly, if you're thinking about treating with a fire retardant. The concept is good, though that would mean chemicals being used, which may not be welcomed by the charity.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:05 AM

You know, I always figure if someone reaches the point where the blanket he's cuddled under is on fire, he's in so much trouble that fire retardant fabric isn't going to make much of a difference. I don't mean to make light of the situation, I just think it's just not something you can worry about. My two cents!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 AM

The state doesn't require us to use flame retardant fabric in our charity quilts.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM

I don't know for sure if this is true but I've heard that the first time you
wash a garment/quilt the fire protection is gone.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

the fire retardant stuff you buy and spray on-washes back out-so simply a waste of money---since most charities want you to wash the quilts before you send them.
also buying the flannels that are made for childrens sleepware (fire resistant) those (wash away) after a few washes too---so don't worry about it- make the quilts sturdy- washable and cute---they will be much appreciated...you know their clothing is not fire resistant---other than store bought sleepware and that washes away ---
the only thing to worry about with donation quilts is that they will hold up to (abuse) many washings/drying---and they are not going to get (special care) often they are tossed into big industrial washers- and hot dryers- make them to survive.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
You know, I always figure if someone reaches the point where the blanket he's cuddled under is on fire, he's in so much trouble that fire retardant fabric isn't going to make much of a difference. I don't mean to make light of the situation, I just think it's just not something you can worry about. My two cents!
So true, most deaths in fires are due to smoke not the fire. All fabric will burn the fire retardent you add at home will wash out when it gets wet, Most charities do not want you to add anything because of allergies. 100% cotton is better than cotton blends, cotton burns, but some blends will melt before they burn, which is a whole diffrent type of burn.More painful, and harder to heal.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 PM

There is nothing you can do to quilts to make them fireproof. I wouldn't add anything due to potential for allergies.

Soapbox ahead: The concerns for having fire retardant for children's sleepwear was based on iffy sampling (can I say junk science?) back in the 70s. Most fire injuries occur to children when they have regular clothes on, not nightwear. While required to prove that children's sleepwear retains the retardant properties for 50 washing, in actual tests at some universities, additives such as softener sheets and various whiteners can eliminate the retardant in as little as 5 washings. The part of the law requiring CLOSE FITTING garments makes sense, given that a large increase in fire injuries resulted from the popularity of wearing oversized T-shirts, but then parents should know about this for clothing for any time of the day, not just nightware.

Some other info.
http://green.yourway.net/3-ways-to-g...fuzzy-pajamas/

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-24-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Actually, the 1970s law resulted in a significant decline in deaths of children from fire, based on statistics collected by the federal government. Clothing fires are probably more common now because there are so many fewer sleepwear fires. Here is a website that gives some reasonable information:
http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/4/4/313.full

The law has never required close-fitting sleepwear to be flame retardant. The danger from fire comes from loose-fitting cotton garments (such as nightgowns) because air can fuel fire from both sides of the fabric. A flame touching the hem of a non-treated cotton nightgown will result in the child being engulfed in fire, including face and hair, in about 3 seconds -- much faster than allows an adult to move. The garment basically explodes in flames.

Quilts are not a problem because a burn will progress much more slowly (due to thickness), giving someone time to act.

Children these days are exposed to such a wide variety of chemicals in the environment, I don't think it's wise to expose them unnecessarily to even more chemicals (especially while they are sleeping). My preference is to use close-fitting sleepwear that is not treated with flame-retardant chemicals. For the same reason I would not use a flame-retardant batting in a child's quilt; it's really an unnecessary addition of chemicals in the environment.