Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doe anyone use 60wt Presencia thread for general piecing? >

Doe anyone use 60wt Presencia thread for general piecing?

Doe anyone use 60wt Presencia thread for general piecing?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 AM

Default Doe anyone use 60wt Presencia thread for general piecing?

I usually use Aurifil for general piecing, but have been using Presencia 60/3 for paper piecing as my stitch size is smaller and love it. My bobbins seem to go on forever!

It seems much finer than YLI 60/2 or Mettler 60/2. (Although I've tried the Mettler, I won't buy it, as I feel they profit from the widely held myth that there's any silk in their 100% cotton 'silk finished' thread. I know they aren't doing anything wrong and it's up to the consumer to read the label, but that's just me ).

Presencia also has three strands compared to the others, which have two. Is it strong enough for general piecing with out reducing stitch size?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 AM

Harriet Hargrave recommends it in her Quilter's Academy, Vol 1 (page 20); plus, she says, you can sew with a 70/10 needle
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I use it all the time for piecing. I love it. Really helps me maintain a proper seam allowance and the seams seem flatter. It is the recommended piecing thread at my LQS. For regular piecing I do shorten my stich length one notch from regular sewing, but not as short as when I PP.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I am sticking with Mettler Silk wrapped thread because it works flawlessly in my old Bernina.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 AM

Yes! I'm a relatively new convert to Presencia but I love it. I still love Aurifil too but Presencia is stronger so now I default to using that.

I got the tip to try it in a Harriet Hargrave class, but from my guild mates, not from Harriet herself. I think that's kind of funny. I was having thread breakage problems (for the first time ever) and the lady sitting across from me was so excited about Presencia I had to buy some and try it...and now I'm hooked.

I only have one color, I bought a gigantic cone of a neutral beige and now that's my go-to thread for piecing.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

How can anyone think silk finished means it contains silk? It is not the company's responsibility for the lack of reading comprehension by the customer. It implies the thread is finished the way silk thread is finished. I have Presencia and it is great thread. I won a set of Presencia from a blog give away an all my machines like it.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am sticking with Mettler Silk wrapped thread because it works flawlessly in my old Bernina.
As Onebyone so succinctly put it, Mettler thread is not 'wrapped in silk'. There's no silk in it - it's 100% cotton.

Think I'm going to switch to Presencia as my Aurifil runs out.[h=2][/h][h=2][/h]
Old 02-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Exactly what Sewnoma said My exact experience.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 AM

I have been using Arifil 60wt thread and absolutely love it but I didn't realize Presencia was stronger. I will have to try it.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

For those of you who use the cone size Presencia 60wt for piecing, what color number is your thread? I like a slightly off-white for piecing, but can't find that in the cone size Presencia -- just pure white.