Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does any body here use cheater's print for quilt tops? >

Does any body here use cheater's print for quilt tops?

Does any body here use cheater's print for quilt tops?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

I plan on listing some cheater's print quilt tops on e-bay that I have acquired. Do any of you quilter's out there ever use any of these prints for quilts. The ones I have are 90 x 90inches. They are new and of good quality. What should I start them at at? Here is a couple to give you an idea of what they look like. I was thinking $25.00 each. What do you think?

Sun Bonnet Sue
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164548[/ATTACH]

Dresden plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164550[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164543.jpe   attachment-164545.jpe  
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM

I've used small panels for baby quilts but that's about it. Those are pretty. I don't know what to tell you about price.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM

How big are they? You could check to see what similar items are listed for on eBay.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM

I'm not sure if those are considered panels or just printed fabric with a repeating picture. I did a Christmas quilt that just had blocks of birds repeating throughout the fabric and it was sold as fabric not panels.

Your pictures actually look just like that and probably is just fabric.

Panels are usually 22 or 23 by 44 so they can be cut like regular fabric on the fold. I like panels and use them frequently.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

They are very pretty. Love the Sue one.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I'm not sure if those are considered panels or just printed fabric with a repeating picture. I did a Christmas quilt that just had blocks of birds repeating throughout the fabric and it was sold as fabric not panels.

Your pictures actually look just like that and probably is just fabric.

Panels are usually 22 or 23 by 44 so they can be cut like regular fabric on the fold. I like panels and use them frequently.
This fabric is 90 inches wide. I suppose that you could do anything you wanted with it. But, my idea would be to put a border around it and quilt it. My friend did one this way with a double wedding ring pattern and it was lovely. You had to look real close to see it was cheater's print.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

i use panals often in quilting...I HATE THE WORD...'CHEATER' it is so horribly negative. i've never understood why some people insist a panal is CHEATING...it is just another piece of fabric...with a print...i really wish people would be less negative -- the new people tend to take things like that to heart...and believe they should not use certain fabrics and there is no reason for it.
as for your wide fabrics, i think they are nice and as long as they are good quality and 100% cotton i would think $25 was an excellent price for them.

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I plan on listing some cheater's print quilt tops on e-bay that I have acquired. Do any of you quilter's out there ever use any of these prints for quilts. The ones I have are 90 x 90inches. They are new and of good quality. What should I start them at at? Here is a couple to give you an idea of what they look like. I was thinking $25.00 each. What do you think?
:thumbup:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:08 PM

I made one for my brother and his girlfriend when they moved in together ,I used the double wedding ring 90" I figured they were cheating so I could too:):) plus they had two dogs that slept with them and was not attempting a REAL one till they said I DO-- needless to say they didn't and I'm glad I didn't go to the expense or the time . I think they are wonderful for auctions and donations and kids that don't appreciate the time it takes. Price sounds right
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM

I will alway have a special place in my heart for cheater panels, because a hospice worker made one for my dad in his mid-stage of Alzheimers. He loved that quilt; loved feeling the knots she used to tie it. Hers was very, very simple but I would pay an easy say-70 bucks for something like it. But that's just me; honestly I don't think I would ever make a quilt with it - just look and think about my Daddy. Ooops, crying. My avatar is the sampler WIP that I started about the same time of his life. He died almost a year ago today. Sorry for the drama. As for price, yours are so detailed and beautiful; but I don't know what the average bear would pay for them.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Sent you a PM. I would like to buy the dresden plate one from you. Sandy